win 98 crashing

nhojnhoj35 09:40 04 Aug 04

i re-installed windows from scratch for a friend on a very old pc but it is continually locking up.

the main error showing in device manager is under advanced power management support where the device status lists the device is either not present, not working properly or does not have all drivers installed. if i select update driver it says the best driver is already installed.

i was looking at win98 updates but they all seem to be security issues rather than stability issues. can someone point me in a direction please. thankyou

nhojnhoj35 09:42 04 Aug 04

in addition to this, i ran a defrag on the drive and when it got to 10% it said `drives contents changed - restarting` and it then goes back to 0%.

somebody tried to install office 2000 on to the system last week that sent it a bit loopy.
i deleted the `microsoft office` folder but could this maybe have screwed up the registry?

^wave^ 09:59 04 Aug 04

i think you have to look at how much disk space you have and look at the swop file size. if the pc is old then you may be running out of disk space

nhojnhoj35 12:19 04 Aug 04

there is enough space for office97 as it has been installed on the machine in the past.
theres bugger all else on it, not even a printer.

i`m working through some suggestions from the archives of this site.

i did a registry clean and it found 1200 items to remove. that seems a crazy amount of registry entries for a clean installation.

i`m getting random freezes very frequently with seemingly no common ground

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…