Win 98 Boot Poblem

sivashakti 13:49 03 Dec 04

I am using a system running Windows 98 second edition, or at least I was since at the moment, I just cannot get the thing booted. It boots as far as the stage where the desk top wall paper comes into view, but at the point where the task bar and short cut icons would normally materialize, I’m getting the dreaded ‘the programme has performed an illegal operation and is shutting down’ dialogue box which warns that ‘Explorer caused a segment not present fault in module user.exe. at 001f: 0000015f’ followed with the usual info that only those with a degree in computer studies would stand a chance of understanding. Instead of the system shutting down though, it instead seems to lock into a situation of having the desk top wall paper in place but with no task bar or icons.

Using my collection of boot and repair disks for Win 98, and trying to boot in safe mode I’m informed the HIMEM.SYS, DBLBUFF.SYS and IFSHLP.SYS files are missing or have become corrupted. Am I right in assuming that the absence of the HIMEM.SYS file prevents the system from booting in safe mode? I’ve tried booting with my Win 98 CD rom, as well as every conceivable way I can think of to get the missing files into the system even, following advise such as typing cd\windows\command (return) or scanreg/restore (return) all meeting with those dreaded words; by the way, I’ve found that ‘boot you son of a bitch’ is a bad command or file name.

Since I’m obviously not going about getting the files copied back into my system in the right way, could somebody please tell me in simple terms what I have to enter at command prompt A:\> as well as what boot option to select, so that I might not only rescue my system, but rescue myself from seeing the words bad command or file name, in white letters, every time I close my eyes.

Diodorus Siculus 13:59 03 Dec 04

scanreg/restore needs a space:

scanreg /restore

Boot with floppy

assume D is your CD drive

this should start to run the setup. It may warn that there is already an OS there; in which case, report back...

Doing a reinstall should not lose you any data but there is no guarantee.

Diodorus Siculus 14:00 03 Dec 04

sorry, shoulc be scanreg \restore

That is, \ not /

pj123 14:09 03 Dec 04

Diodorus Siculus, you were right the first time. scanreg /restore.

The way to do it is to switch on and keep hitting the F8 key until you get a menu. Choose option 6 and then type in

scanreg /restore

Pick a date prior to when the problem occurred and follow the prompts.

PA28 14:12 03 Dec 04

... and then try running SFC (System File Checker) from the Start>Run prompt if you can get that far. Have your W98 CD to hand to restore files as prompted.

Be ready for a complete reinstall if it all goes wobbly. If you can get to your data, and you haven't already, get it backed up ASAP.

Diodorus Siculus 14:14 03 Dec 04

Yes, you are right... my memories of using DOS are fading fast with the 80s.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…