win 98 after format

Ops 21:29 01 Nov 04

Win 98 wont recognise the d: drive after ia formatted, the cdrw also not recognised.

Can you help

PA28 21:31 01 Nov 04

What drive did you format - C: and then a clean install, or your D: drive? To what standard did you carry out the format - FAT32?

Ops 21:33 01 Nov 04

drive c, not sure what standard, is there anything i can do

PA28 21:40 01 Nov 04

Don't sound too desperate, it can be recovered! You've formatted C: and reinstalled W98, am I right? Now you can't see your CD drive or a second hard drive D:? But Windows 98 is booting up OK? (correct me on any of these points as we go).

If I am with you so far, then on bootup press DEL and have a look at the first screen of the BIOS and see if this is identifying the D: drive and the CD (E:?) drive OK. Exit BIOS without saving and let us know what you found.

Ops 21:46 01 Nov 04

hi thanks for this, the d: drive is the cd player. what should be e: drive is the cd re writer i have only 1 hard drive

cheers

woodchip 22:12 01 Nov 04

I think your problem is how you are trying to load windows. If you do not have a Windows Startup Disc, click here ninth file down. You can set your Computer BIOS to start from the CD if the computer supports it.

PS if you start with the Windows startup Disc choose start with CD rom Support. if your CDRW is normally D:\ it will change to E:\ while you install windows SO at A:\> type E:\SETUP press enter

Ops 22:20 01 Nov 04

so do i have to re install windows

woodchip 22:22 01 Nov 04

Well if you do not put windows on how can you load anything else. Window is the Operating System

woodchip 22:24 01 Nov 04

Are you telling me that you have just lost the CDRW in Device Manager if so, You may need a new CDRW ribbon cable. If you can see the CD drive in Device Manager Remove it and restart your computer

VoG II 22:25 01 Nov 04

Please confirm. You have Windows but Windows does not see your CD or CRRW. Is that correct?

woodchip 22:27 01 Nov 04

PS please confirm what drive you formatted

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…