WIn 95 to Win 98?

Sirpad 09:19 25 Nov 05

I have a new PC and hate to see my old one go to waste. Could I successfully upgrade Win 95 to Win 98 and if so how? I'd like to be able to use it as an extra PC for the internet and can't use Broadband with 95.

Catastrophe 09:42 25 Nov 05

Just buy a Windows 98 Upgrade CD.

It would be helpful to know your machine specs.

Catastrophe 09:43 25 Nov 05

Actually I did exactly that. I have 4 pcs but only one connected to the internet for security reasons.

MAJ 09:49 25 Nov 05

Course you can, Sirpad. If you don't need the data on your 95 hard drive, format the hard drive using a Win98SE floppy disk click here then install Win 98SE, using either the CD (by booting from it), or, by, at the A:\> prompt (after you format the drive), type E:\setup where E: is the drive letter of your CD-ROM drive. You will need a full version of Win98SE (OEM or Retail) and you will need either a USB port or an ethernet port on your computer to attach your BB modem to.

Sirpad 10:47 25 Nov 05

Thanks guys. I would need the data on my old PC and I'm not sure if it has an ethernet port.
Ye olde PC is Pentium Pro with 64K ram with 2gb HD running 95. I know I need to up the ram...it's only worth the effort if I can hook up BB.

mgmcc 11:30 25 Nov 05

If you have a broadband router, there is no reason why you can't install a network adapter in the Win 95 PC and have internet access via the LAN - you don't need to upgrade to Win 98 to be able to do that. What you do need is a free PCI slot and a network adapter with drivers for Win 95 - an old PC might have ISA rather than PCI slots, which would make sourcing a suitable network adapter difficult.

MAJ 12:12 25 Nov 05

If you don't have an ethernet port (assuming a Cable modem) then you're going to have to buy and install a network adapter as mgmcc says, Sirpad.

If you still want to upgrade to Win 98 and keep all your files intact then all you need is the Win 98 upgrade CD as opposed to the full version. Then you can set the computer's BIOS to boot from the CD-ROM drive, insert the Win 98 CD and restart the computer. The Win 98 installation will kick off and upgrade your Win 95 installation to Win 98, keeping all your files. You should backup your important files anyway, just in case something goes wrong. You will still need to install the network adapter after upgrading to Win 98 in order to connect your cable modem.

Sirpad 12:51 25 Nov 05

You guys are great. Have taken all your tips and will give it a bash this weekend. When you said 'have internet acces via the LAN' (mgmcc)do you mean I'll be able access BB via my router wirelessly. My main PC would be connected to the router and my old PC would be wireless?

woodchip 14:01 25 Nov 05

On the Win95 start with a Win boot disc click here double click on the downloaded filw with a floppy disc in computer will creat the boot disc. Start 95 with disc When it gets to A:\> type C: press enter it should then be C:\> type DEL WINDOWS it will delete the Windows folder. If you download the Win98se OEM floppy it will do the above and will allow you to install 98se. As you need to then restart computer with Floppy and Win98se disc in comp, Now choose start with CD rom support it will load drivers and Ram drive, and will then go back to A:\> type E: it will change to E:\> Type SETUP press enter, after scandisk as run press X then Enter

mgmcc 15:40 25 Nov 05

>> When you said 'have internet acces via the LAN' (mgmcc)do you mean I'll be able access BB via my router wirelessly. My main PC would be connected to the router and my old PC would be wireless?

No, you won't be able to connect the 95 PC "wirelessly", that really would be too ambitious.

Normally, routers have a built-in network switch and four "LAN" (Local Area Network) ports, so that up to four PCs can be connected simultaneously. If your particular router is a single port model, it would be necessary to plug a network hub/switch in to provide additional ports for the second PC.

Another option would be to install a Wireless Network Adapter in the main PC, connect that "wirelessly" and connect the 95 PC by ethernet cable.

...or just swap the ethernet cable between PCs depending which one needs to be online.

...or install a second ethernet adapter in the main PC, connect the two by "crossover" network cable and enable Internet Connection Sharing in the "host" PC. However, that does rather defeat the purpose of having a router whose purpose is to route network traffic to the appropriate computer in a LAN.

woodchip 16:17 25 Nov 05

You can fit a Wireless PCI card, and it will then work Wireless after you load Software and set Wireless router settings both the same settings

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…