Win '95 - restore to factory config?

graham√ 18:12 05 Jul 03

I have dug out an old PC of mine, which was previously on a company network. Many commands come up as 'Disabled by the Administrator', regedit for example. It doesn't have a CD drive, but I have made a start-up floppy. Can I 'crash' it back to the time it was not on a network and somehow have an 'out-of-the-box' PC, with Windows 95?

VoG II 18:52 05 Jul 03

I'm assuming that you have a set of Windows 95 installation floppies - if not don't even think of doing the following.

Download a boot disk click here

Boot with the boot disk in the drive; this should take you to the A:> prompt.

Type

Format C:

and hit Enter.

This will wipe the hard drive.

Then reboot with Disk 1 of the Windows 95 disks in the drive and follow the on-screen prompts.

graham√ 19:45 05 Jul 03

Thanks, no installation floppies, unfortunately. I'll ask my sister if they have them.

Megatyte 22:09 05 Jul 03

Couldn't you "borrow" a CD drive from another machine, just to get it re-installed?

AH

graham√ 22:14 05 Jul 03

Good thinking! I don't have a 95 CD, unfortunately. Would the CD be easier to obtain, I wonder?

Megatyte 22:22 05 Jul 03

If you go that way, boot from a 98 start-up floppy, as the 95 version doesn't incorporate CD drivers.

AH

graham√ 22:28 05 Jul 03

Sorry, don't understand ... 95 is available on CD, shirley?

woodchip 22:29 05 Jul 03

And a 98 floppy does not cover all CD drives especially if it's an old one. You could take your own out temporary and use that, it's easy to setup

graham√ 22:33 05 Jul 03

Thanks all, will resume in the morning. Goodnight.

Megatyte 22:35 05 Jul 03

What I mean is that you need to boot from a start-up floppy(an old computer likely will not boot from CD), and the 95 start-up floppy doesn't contain the drivers that allow you to access the CD drive.

AH

woodchip 22:55 05 Jul 03

You are right but Win95b or Win95c floppy disc does contain some CD support drives. But
he did not specify what version

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…