Win 95 and broadband

peb69 12:57 12 Dec 03

My home PC is quite old and uses Win 95. The engineer who installed my braodband said it would be ok.

And it was, but with not much free memory etc I decided to format the c drive to get rid of lots of rubbish. Did that ok, but was not able to access the internet via my broadband connection.

When I used the 'help' cd that he left me, it says I need Win 98 at least, so it's no good.

I will ring the helpline later, but thought someone might have some answers or advice first.

Can I run broadband with Win 95?
Are there some things I need to re-set after the format?

Cheers!

LeadingMNMs 13:45 12 Dec 03

what sort of modem are you using. i didn't think win 95 supported USB

peb69 14:06 12 Dec 03

To be honest I do not know! They just put it in I am not at all technical. I can only say it is a Motorolla. The company is Telewest. Does that help?

Stuartli 14:09 12 Dec 03

click here

But you would still be better off upgrading to at least Windows98SE.

Stuartli 14:10 12 Dec 03

Presumably the engineer was working on a commission basis.....

peb69 14:29 12 Dec 03

Thanks for that Stuartli. I mean it has worked well for 6 months so I presume my version can handle it? Yes/no?

If it's yes, then why can't I connect after formatting?

LeadingMNMs 16:00 12 Dec 03

i meant is the modem connected via a USB port, a PCI slot or an ethernet ?

peb69 16:04 12 Dec 03

Ethernet I think.

Gemma 16:09 12 Dec 03

Did you mean format? Does your computer run at all? If it does, then what did you do as you can't have formatted your hard drive.

LeadingMNMs 16:15 12 Dec 03

A good point. Did you format the disk (e.g. wipe it completely and reload all software) or did you simply manually remove certain files ?

peb69 16:15 12 Dec 03

Gemma,

Yes, I formatted it and reloaded Win 95. That went ok, but no internet connection.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…