Win 7upgrade and XP

redeyenewby 17:56 PM 13 Jun 11

My PC has XP SP3 installed but I also purshased a Win 7 which I was told was a standalone programme. I would like to add W7 to my PC to run both os but in looking at the W7 box it stated it is an upgrade. Is there any way I can install W7 whilst still retaining XP? Thank you.

chub_tor 18:20 PM 13 Jun 11

You will need to partition your hard drive into two with C: being the drive with XP on it then you can do a clean install of Windows 7 on the new D partition See Here and See Here

iscanut2 18:59 PM 13 Jun 11

If you follow chub_tor's advice, you will have to buy a full version of Win7 as your upgrade version will not be of use.

chub_tor 20:38 PM 13 Jun 11

iscanut

If you look at the first link I gave you will see it is entitled Clean Install Windows 7 With Upgrade Media so a full version is not needed. I have done this myself several times, it is completely legal according to Microsoft and the procedure works.

iscanut2 22:26 PM 13 Jun 11

Thanks...did not look at your link....sorry to confuse on my ignorance !

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get free stuff for Android: Amazon Underground offers genuinely free Android apps and free…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Swedish schoolkids use Minecraft to redesign Stockholm city centre

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites