Win 7upgrade and XP

redeyenewby 13 Jun 11

My PC has XP SP3 installed but I also purshased a Win 7 which I was told was a standalone programme. I would like to add W7 to my PC to run both os but in looking at the W7 box it stated it is an upgrade. Is there any way I can install W7 whilst still retaining XP? Thank you.

chub_tor 13 Jun 11

You will need to partition your hard drive into two with C: being the drive with XP on it then you can do a clean install of Windows 7 on the new D partition See Here and See Here

iscanut2 13 Jun 11

If you follow chub_tor's advice, you will have to buy a full version of Win7 as your upgrade version will not be of use.

chub_tor 13 Jun 11

iscanut

If you look at the first link I gave you will see it is entitled Clean Install Windows 7 With Upgrade Media so a full version is not needed. I have done this myself several times, it is completely legal according to Microsoft and the procedure works.

iscanut2 13 Jun 11

Thanks...did not look at your link....sorry to confuse on my ignorance !

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

IKinema aims to banish droopy shoulders and wonky spines in animated CG characters

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message