Win 7 validation

kimtrnc 17:08 PM 17 Apr 11

I have a proper purchased copy of Win 7, which I have had for approx 2 years. Today I received a message from Microsoft telling me it was invalid. It then took off my background screen and started complaining that it wasn't genuine. is thias really Microsoft or some sort of scam, please?

mfletch 19:11 PM 17 Apr 11

I would phone Microsoft to see what is happening

chub_tor 20:44 PM 17 Apr 11

Many of us have had a validation error message at some time or other often after a round of updates. Win7 just seems to get confused. Mine have always gone away after a re-boot. I've given up worrying about them, I know my copy is genuine and they have never stopped me from updating etc. The background screen change is a bit worrying though, it is probably worth running a malware check.

Thalmus 09:24 AM 18 Apr 11

Try this

right click computer and select properties. In the the window that opens up scroll the bottom and click the link that says "change product key". Type in your windows key and press validate

mimosa418 10:43 AM 18 Apr 11

Probably as a result of recent updates which introduced a new validation process.

mimosa418 10:49 AM 18 Apr 11

Sorry! Incorrect link

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Cyber Monday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Cyber Monday tech deals, sales, discounts & offers

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Harry Potter's graphic designers showcase magical props & posters in new exhibition

Apple rumours & predictions 2016: What to expect from Apple in 2016