Win 7 System Restore

Clapton is God 08:45 AM 20 May 12
Answered

My O/S is Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit.

Is it possible to 'tweak' system restore so that it automatically creates a restore point at an interval set by me (every 6 hours for instance)?

john bunyan 09:06 AM 20 May 12

The link below seems to have what you want. You will need to delete older points and decide how much space to devote. I prefer to do a virus and malware check and a defrag before making a restore point. Windows ,as you know, makes one prior to installing updates. I prefer an ATI image of my OS and a mirror copy of my data.

System restore manager

Clapton is God 09:17 AM 20 May 12

Thanks for that.

So, I guess what you're saying is that it's not possible within Windows itself to set my own restore point intervals (although I see from your link that the Win 7 default is 24 hours).

However, the freeware in your link seems to be able to do what I want.

KRONOS the First 09:22 AM 20 May 12

Clapton isn't,Hendrix is.

john bunyan 09:32 AM 20 May 12

CiG

Hope it works for you, but the danger is if a "nasty" gets in, it will be in the restore point unless you scan before creating one. If it id data you want to keep backed up, I would create a "Master" folder with all hour data sub folders and use either SynchToy or (I prefer) Freefilesynch to make "mirror image " copies. I do it daily (to another drive), and once you make one copy, which takes a bit of time, subsequent copies take less than a minute as only new, deleted or modified files are involved. Not much point in backing up whole system so frequently, IMHO

compumac 09:41 AM 20 May 12

I use Acronis for creating complete drive images every two weeks and use NonStop backup (it is nonstop)included in Acronis for all of my data. I also have Allway Sync synchronising my data. Using either Non Stop and Allway Sync you are able to recover old versions of the file being backed up and a very useful feature it is.

Clapton is God 10:03 AM 20 May 12
Answer

john bunyan and compumac Thanks for that. I'll certainly take your comments on board!

Chronus Yawn.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…