Win 7 Random Re-Boots

bgrave 10:42 11 Aug 10

Hello. I have a self build PC running 32 bit Win7 HP with a Gigabyte Main Board GA-EP43-DS3L; it has been going OK for a little over a year now.

Last week I started to get random switch offs ; this is what happens; the PC can be idle or working when everything goes off and a few seconds later it starts to reboot; in most cases it will boot up to the option of Repair, Safe mode or Start Windows Normally, I have been choosing the latter and have been able to get to the Desktop and continue working, loosing any unsaved work of course.

There was an exception ; the PC randomly switched off ,rebooted but when it got to the Windows password screen it switched off again; rebooted and switched off again at the password screen. This continued until I was able to stop it ; after this I managed to get into Safe mode and shut down as normal, Reboot and this worked. Since then it has switched off several times, some times I can work for most of the day and everything will be OK other times it will switch off twice in an hour.

I have not added any software or hardware for some time now ; however I think it was the day before the random switch offs started (05-08-10) I installed the Microsoft upgrade KB2286198 and I wondered if anyone else had similar problems.

I did wonder if there could be a hardware fault in say the output of the PSU ; I have a UPS so it is unlikely to be a fault at the input end ; I suppose it is also possible to be a fault on the Main-board.

I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on this problem.

jimv7 10:50 11 Aug 10

Right click my computer, system protection, advanced, start up and recovery, settings, untick automatically restart, you should now recieve error messages of the causes.

bgrave 10:57 11 Aug 10

Thanks I will try that next time it happens

birdface 10:59 11 Aug 10

click here
Same sort of problem.

jimv7 11:00 11 Aug 10

Plus click here might be the same error.

jimv7 11:01 11 Aug 10

Must type faster...lol

gengiscant 11:16 11 Aug 10

This can be useful, click here

bgrave 19:04 11 Aug 10

It is begining to look like there might be a problem with KB2286198 I recall the early days of XP when a similar KB**** caused a lot of problems.
As yet I have not had a random switch off today.

Zeppelyn 20:52 11 Aug 10

Have you tried uninstalling that KB to see if the problem goes away?

bgrave 20:59 11 Aug 10

I have not uninstalled the errant KB because a certain well known law seems to be in operation today; the PC has been on all day and it has not switched it self of once.

kristain 10:35 12 Aug 10

One you can try the followings:

1- When your start your pc hit F8 on your keyboard a lot of times till you go to the Advanced Boot Options screen.
2- Then with your arrow keys, select Disable automatic restart on system failure and press Enter.

hope this helps you. still face the problem click here for help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now