Win 7 64 bit v 32

jon2 16 Oct 11
Answered

I am looking at a new computer with windows 7, there are 64 bit and 32 bit versions, which is best

buteman 16 Oct 11

Most folk will tell you the 64 Bit is the best but I find it slower than the 32 Bit.

You need to download or update both versions of some programs when using the 64 bit version.

I suppose it all depends what you are going to use it for.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16 Oct 11

With 64bit you get the advantage of using memory above the 3.5G limit of 32bit

john bunyan 16 Oct 11
Answer

I have a desktop and a laptop both on W7 64 bit. As Fruit Bat says if your PC has more than 3.5G memory you wont be able to take advantage of the extra. Programmes that can only run in 32bit are stored in C:/Programme Files(x86)and run quite happily.I have Photoshop CS5 and it installs in both editions as, so far , if you scan, there are no TWAIN drivers for 64 bit. I have had no problems with 64bit on either PC.

jon2 17 Oct 11

many thanks for your input

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

IKinema aims to banish droopy shoulders and wonky spines in animated CG characters

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message