Win 32 Problems After Virus

jules52 11:05 13 Jan 04

I recently had a virus on my computer, running Windows Home Edition XP. The virus in question was funlove 3066. I duly downloaded a specific virus remover from Nortons Web site and it removed it. However, it does not repair the Win 32 files only removes. Although the system is now perfectly 'clean' I would like to reinstall Windows xp without loosing any programmes, files, drivers etc etc. I have recently gone through the same experience with my network computer running Windows 98 and in fact decided to format, repartition etc. I am not as familiar with xp as 98 and would be grateful if anyone can give me some useful tips to achieve my requirements.

temp003 11:21 13 Jan 04

Insert XP installation CD into computer, restart (making sure in BIOS boot sequence CDROM drive comes before hard disk). When prompted to press any key to boot from CD, press a key on keyboard. Files will load from CD and will eventually get to XP Setup screen. Then follow the instructions on "How to repair install" click here:

You'll need to reapply all Windows updates after that.

jules52 12:21 13 Jan 04

Thanx temp003 - However, I forgot to say that I am having problems getting anything to read in my CD drive. Although the boot sequence is correct I can't get a whole lot further with reloading XP until that problem is sorted out.
I think that the virus mucked up the driver settings?

Big Elf 14:32 13 Jan 04

You could try deleting the CD-ROM from Device Manager and then reboot but I would have thought that at the booting stage it's the BIOS that's controlling it.

temp003 11:17 14 Jan 04

Have you actually tried booting from CD or are you just worried that it may not work because you can't use the CDROM in Windows XP proper?

If the latter, go ahead and try it, because when you boot up from CDROM, "XP Setup" does not need the driver in Windows itself to operate the CDROM.

If the CDROM is mechanically fine, and it is a bootable CDROM, you should be able to do the repair.

jules52 16:48 14 Jan 04

I have since discovered (by substitution) that the drive unit itself is faulty and I've installed a temporary one that is working fine. That part of my problem is sorted!

johnnyrocker 16:50 14 Jan 04

if not too late how about a system restore?

jules52 07:07 15 Jan 04

Nice thought Johnny, except when I downloaded the Nortons virus remover you have to disable the system restore feature in Windows XP to allow it to remove the virus and any restore points are 'post' virus rather than pre virus.
Thanx anyway

Zion_Lion 12:02 15 Jan 04

How about putting the xp disk in the pc and going to, Start, Run and typing in
sfc /scannow
Hope the system file check helps.
Regards Graham

jules52 16:44 15 Jan 04

Thanxs ZL I will try that when I get a mo.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…