Win 3.11 files rescue

xuroys 02:13 23 Feb 07

I still have the hard drive from my first Windows computer and I'd like to extract the contents. The file format would be win 3.11 and my oldest computer is a Pentium II 667Mhz running Win98SE. I was told that the hard disc from the old (Packard Bell 66Mhz) computer was of a kind which wouldn't work as a slave so do you think I could load it into my Pentium computer to extract any files and transfer them to its second hard drive ? If that would work then I could put the Pentiums main drive back and transfer the files to a USB stick. Would I then be able to run win 3.11 from the USB stick ?
Anybody got any comments and/or advice ?
Regards,
Baz

ed-0 08:24 23 Feb 07

Some older drives require different jumper setting to work as a slave. i.e. slave with master present, slave with cdrom drive, slave with no present. Some, as you say, will not work as slave and either have no jumpers or will not work with another hard drive, just a cdrom in which they must be master.

So if you take it that the drive will NOT work as a slave. All you need to do is to disconnect the IDE ribbon cable from your secondary IDE channel. i.e. the optical drives. Ease out the wide grey ribbon cable from both drives, if there is two, so both connecters are free. Connect one to the hard drive and then the power connecter.

Boot the computer and transfer the files.

" Would I then be able to run win 3.11 from the USB stick ? "

Only if you have the original disks and if the computer supports booting from a usb device.

If you are thinking of just dragging windows off the drive and booting from that, then no.

It might work if you can clone the whole windows 3.11 drive onto the usb stick.

Diemmess 09:14 23 Feb 07

Hanging the old HD in place of the optical drive/s is probably the best way to extract data from it.

Don't bother with trying to have the old drive mounted inside the case.
It can lean against something at any angle as long as it isn't disturbed while running, or any of its circuitboard touching a conducting surface.

I think you have absolutely no chance at all of transferring and running the old OS on a different computer for many good reasons.

xuroys 12:01 25 Feb 07

Thanks for the info given so far. I still have all the setup discs for win 3.11 and with a growing number of outdated computers thought I might try converting one, just for the fun of it and to see whether it would run any faster than XP.
Are there any absolute requirements to run 3.11, i.e. would it run on a Pentium II and is there a maximum disc size, etc. ?
Cheers,
Baz

Diemmess 13:44 25 Feb 07

From memory and old receipts.

I bought a Compuadd 386 bundle which included Windows 3.0, Word, 2MB RAM and I think the HD was 60 MB. There was a Deskjet printer a box of 5.25" floppies and a bill for £2134 in May 92.
Make what you can of that!
The RAM was two 1Mb SIMMS totalling £200.

It could be fun to try your least powerful old box and see what you can do.
It could also be a pain because drivers for old gear and Windows 3.1.1 may be impossible now for the things you want to fit or even try.

Keep RAM as small as you can, (even 98SE falls over with >512MB) in that era 64 Mb should be ample.

Certainly don't expect Windows 3.1.1 to recognise a hard drive > 20Gb.

Speed is relative, There is much less to load but a much slower machine to do the job.

The more I think of it, the more I feel you may stall and give up, but congrats if you do succeed, and please post back here.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:05 25 Feb 07

Download virtual PC click here
and run 3.11 in its own enviroment

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced