Win 2nd Edition-Watch.

Barrykneeshaw 01:47 05 Jan 04

I am continually receiving error message "Watch. This program has performed an illegal operation & will be shut down. If the problem persists....etc"
This happens even when 98 is just open & no programme other than Windows is operational. I get the choice of "Close" or "Details". When I go fo rdetails I get " WATCH caused an invalid page fault in module Kernal32.dll at 0167-bff 88396".
This error message continues even when closed or "x-ed" out. i.e. no matter how many times I close it it still persists.
What is WATCH & how can I cure this problem? I have re-loaded 98 over the existing 98 & still get the same prob, even after running Scandisk.
Help!

beeuuem 02:10 05 Jan 04

Do you have a programme called "watch" in Control panel > Add/Remove programmes?
Or in your programme files Start> Programmes.

If it is not a programme you use, uninstall it.

beeuuem 02:36 05 Jan 04

The only reference a web search could find to your error message is:

From click here

Q/I cleaned up my Windows 98 Gateway after a virus attack and was left with this message: "WATCH caused an invalid page fault in module WATCH.EXE at 0177:004019ec."

I can't get rid of it, and it won't allow me to shut down my computer properly. I would greatly appreciate your help.

A/ I'll bet you have a scanner connected to that Gateway. Or maybe the PC in question was on a network once. Or maybe you once loaded a game with the name of watch.exe.

At any rate, my research shows that there are programs called watch.exe that run scanners, handle network traffic and display games. This means that you probably can solve your problem just by finding the watch.exe program on your computer and renaming it, which will stop it from running in the future and causing that error message.

So find watch.exe by clicking on Start and then Find Files/Folders and typing watch.exe in the search box. Once you find it, right-click on the icon, pick Rename and change the name to something you can remember in case you need to go back and restore the name later on.

This probably will fix the problem. However, if you now get a message saying that some program or another cannot find watch.exe, then you will know that one of your computer's start-up programs uses watch.exe. Jot down the name of whatever program cannot find watch.exe.

Now click on Start and pick Run. Type in msconfig (this only works in Windows 98 and above). This brings up a list of all the programs that run on boot-up and do things like run other programs.

There will be a check box next to the program whose name you jotted down. Uncheck the box to stop using it at startup, and that will fix things in the remote case that you need to go that extra step.

No doubt someone on the forum will come up with a better answer in the daylight hours.

Barrykneeshaw 02:59 05 Jan 04

That seems so far to have worked. My sister does indeed have a scanner with something called Watch attached to it. I have deleted all entries relating to Watch & wait to see what happens...
No doubt I will have to re-install the scanner software at some futire date but at keast she will be able to use the PC. I will update later but I think that you have "cracked it" for me. Many thanks!
Only problem is, in the "Witch Hunt" I also precipitally deleted Watch NetWatch. Was this something vital?
Barry

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…