Win 2K - Forgotton password

TomG 21:35 24 Jun 05

My wife just got a new (second hand) laptop (IBM T23) with win2k - it had no passwords set so she setup an account with a password - but it seems she didn't have the num lock on because when she tries to log in it gives the following error message

The system could not log you on. Make sure your username and domain are correct.

Then there is the usual about capslock being on.
Alternitavily do you know if there is a rescue portion - - she hasn't put any software on so there is nothing to lose by reinstalling eeverything?

TomG 21:36 24 Jun 05

Sorry forgot to add that I've searched this site and cannot get any of the fixes suggested to work.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:51 24 Jun 05

Try this:

1- boot to the windows xp/2000 CD ,

2- press enter to start setup ,

3- press F8 for the license agreement ,

4- when you get the option to repair the current installation press R to do so ,

5- let it run through and for windows XP wait until it reboots and is installing, devices then press shift F10 to open a command prompt. For windows 2000 wait until it is registering components then press shift F10 to open a command prompt. ,

6- In windows XP either type in "nusrmgr.cpl" w/o quotation marks at the command prompt and press enter. For windows 2000 type in "control.exe" w/o quotation marks and press enter. This should open up the user accounts applet in XP and the regular control panel in 2000. ,

7- select the users and change or remove their passwords accordingly, apply settings and close the control panel windows and command prompt windows so that just setup is running again. ,

8- let the inplace upgrade finish

The user should now be able to log in when it finishes and not have to reinstall the programs like in a parallel install.

NT password cracker
click here

TomG 19:28 25 Jun 05

Thanks Fruit Bat

I tried that (plus a dozen other tips I found surfing the net) but it didn't work so I ended up formatting the disk and reinstalling

Thanks anyway

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…