Win 2000SP3 Dual Boot with XP Pro?

pepe 15:32 18 Apr 03

My friend has Win 2000 sp3 installed on his home system, but at work he has XP Pro. He wants XP Pro at home, but not lose his existing installation. Before he buys XP Pro, I need to know can XP Pro be installed to dual boot with 2000. I think I am right in saying that XP gives the option to install as a "New Installation" and if this option is chosen, it installs a boot manager to choose the system to run at start up. Can someone confirm this for me or advise how it's done please. He doesn't particularly wany to buy third party (Partition Mahic etc.).

two00lbwaster 15:51 18 Apr 03

the answer is yes, if he partitions the hdd first so theres a partition for winxp to install on. second if he gets the upgrade version he'll have to make up 8 fdisks to be able to boot up on the xpupgrade cd (though i didnt say that so you could save a lot of money ;-)

if you get the full version then its just a case booting from the cd and choosing the partition that doesnt have the existing os on it

you'll have to find someone else who knows if theres a free partitioning tool out there

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…