win 2000 shutdown problem

bill_h 16:09 08 Jul 03

I have a dual boot system with win 98 on the C drive and win 2000 on D.

In win 98, when I shutdown, the PC powers off automatically. However, when I am in win 2000 the PC does not power off and stops at the 'it is now safe to turn off your computer' screen.

If I turn on the APM the computer shuts down and then immediately reboots again.

APM must be enabled in the BIOS otherwise it would not work in win 98. Any suggestions as to the cause?

matt5705 16:41 08 Jul 03

im not to sure on the problem but here we go

98 sets in the bois to auto shut down

but 2000 has to do that and its got confused why their is a 98 shut down file so its either tell 98 not to shut down and get 200 to that should sort it

Jamie.com 17:30 08 Jul 03

You'd need to go into the bios and set power management to acpi, I imagine it's currently on apm and repair the instllation of windows so the hal recognises the change made in teh bios.

Philip2 17:32 08 Jul 03

Go to control panel click system click on hardware click device manager click view click show hidden devices you should see a red dot i think it is IDE ATA/ATAPI CONTROLLERS what ever click on the red dot and enable it windows will now shut down.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…