win 2000 pro wont reboot after windows update

kiz 15:40 27 Jun 08

I have recently added a wireless card to a friend's old computer running win2000. All went well and after connecting to the internet, I decided to go to windows update for her as she hadnt been connected to it with this machine. I download all 53 updates,microsoft said it needed and now the computer wont boot. It says windows starting and then the screen flashes and it tries again - going into a loop. I can get into safe mode however and there was a query over the graphic card. I tried to download the latest driver but NVidia said it wasnt supported so I have disabled that. Still no joy with the reboot. My other probelm is that I do not think she has the installation disc as it is a 2nd hand machine. Can anyone suggest anything before I own up. When I started this, I just assumed that there would be a system restore but apparently not on Win2000. Is there any other alternative besides a reformat - assuming I can get a disc from somewhere.

Ditch999 16:17 27 Jun 08

Safe Mode - Last known good configuration?

kiz 17:05 27 Jun 08

sorry ditch999, tried that but no joy there.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:16 27 Jun 08

win2k boot disks
click here

kiz 20:21 27 Jun 08

thank Fruit Bat. I will try this tomorrow and post back.

kiz 13:23 28 Jun 08

Fruitbat: I need more advice on this. I have made 4 floppies and checked each. They have WIN2KP1.exe 2, 3 4 on the disks. However, when I put the 1st one into the disc drive I get the message 'remove disks and press any key to restart'.
I guess this means it cant even get to the stage of reading the floppy. I have checked the bootup sequence in CMOS and that is OK. So what now?

brundle 13:29 28 Jun 08

You need to extract each archive to the individual disks. Did you follow the guide further down the page? "2. The W2K Pro disks are zipped images from the MS CD. Best bet is to download them, upzip them to a new folder where you also put makeboot.exe and makebt32.exe into and then run one of the makeboot utils depending on if you're in dos or windows to create the diskset. Or, one can use Winimage to just create a single bootdisk. "

kiz 14:06 28 Jun 08

Brudle: yes I tried to follow the instructions but couldnt make the utils to work (this is all new to me). So I went to the net and found a site : click here where I could download the exe. files as is. So I have 4 floppies with 4 exe files 1,2,3 and 4 but the computer wont read these as per my post above.

brundle 14:09 28 Jun 08

That won't work - you have to extract the archives to disk. The files you downloaded are probably executable archives. Run them and place the contents in folders, format the disks and place the contents of the aforementioned folders on the disks.

kiz 14:10 28 Jun 08

hi again, sorry I have just reread instructions on above site and realise I have to execute file in A first. So I will do this and then post back

brundle 14:13 28 Jun 08

No, my mistake - they are executables that will write the files onto a floppy. Insert a blank disk. Run one of the 4 files. Do that for each boot disk.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…