win 2000 pro installation problem

campal 21:08 16 May 04

when tring to install win 2000 from a clean boot it loads a fair bit then i get a blue screen with teh following:stop:c000026c (unable to load device driver) \??\ c:windows\system32\win32k.system device driver could not be loaded, Error status was oxc 0000221 begining dump of physical memory physical memory dump complete. what is the prob and how do i rectify it

wobblymike 21:17 16 May 04

this may seem a little noddy but are you installing from a reformatted hard drive?

Mike

campal 21:20 16 May 04

YES I HAD A BRAND NEW DRIVE WHICH I FORMATTED AND PARTITIONED IT WILL TAKE ME BUT NOT 2000

wobblymike 21:23 16 May 04

Thats very odd - I would be inclined to flatten it again don't partition it - load 2k and if successful partition afterwards with partition magic or the like

Mike

campal 21:37 16 May 04

HOW DO I FLATTEN IT

campal 21:38 16 May 04

I TRIED INSTALLING IT WITH ME BUT STILL GOT THE SAME MESSAGE

LastChip 21:46 16 May 04
  LastChip 22:02 16 May 04

Don't think that link will help as it refers to Music Match.

You could try re-installing over the top and when the setup program tells you it has discovered W2K already there, select REPAIR.

wobblymike 22:14 16 May 04

The post from last chip is informative

to answer your question the following is needed to flatten a hard drive and reinstall from scratch

1. In Boot sequence in the BIOS set Floppy to be your first boot device - CDROM to 2nd and HDD to 3rd

2. use a Win 98 boot disc - if you dont have one you can download from click here

3. boot fom boot disc - when you get to the a: prompt type fdisk (rtn)when asked if you want to enable hard disc support selct yes when the menu comes up select option 3 (delete partition) and delete the partitions you find. Then select Option 1 and make a primary dos partition (don't partition at this stage)and make it active. the program will then run through integrity checks and the like.

4. When finished reboot - repeat 3 above up to the a: prompt then type Format C: disc will then format - when finished remove boot disc and place Win 2k disc into cd rom - reboot - OS will now load from CD ROM.

5. You will be asked to press any key to load from cd - do so and it will load the set up program and then reboot when asked the 2nd time to press any key to boot from CD leave it alone and let it boot from HDD which it will do automatically. It will then load probably about 30-40 mins.

Hope this helps

Mike

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…