WIN 2000 or XP OS for presentation laptop?

terendak_uk 08:56 27 Jan 05

Be very grateful for comments:got a Toshiba Satellite Pro 6500 running on Windows 2000 Prof., that I use for PP Presentations, using a digiprojector. While it was only our Group using it, I had no problem with whatever media the talk was brought on;( I bought the media!) now that it's being used by visiting Speakers from around the UK/world, I have had several occassions when their CD/USB memory stick just wouldn't be recognised. OK, I understand that it could be everything to do with the owner, lol, but sometimes even a std, well- known memory stick refuses to be recog. If I changed the OS to Windows XP, would that be more "media- friendly"? Or is that irrelevant?
Thanks

recap 09:09 27 Jan 05

I think the problem lies with permission rather than users. An external device may not be recognised by a user as they may require admin rights whether it be W2k or XP?

hillybilly 09:10 27 Jan 05

....when their CD/USB memory stick just wouldn't be recognised.

You could check what type of USB ports you have?

I have a memory stick that is USB 2.0 and laptops an PC's that only have USB1.0 they don't like it! if thats the case the only solution I know is to buy a PCMCIA Card with USB 2.0 ports on it.

terendak_uk 09:38 27 Jan 05

I setup the system, as Admin. So it shouldn't be that.I may well try the PCMCIA route, in the absence of any other revelation. Must admit....get the same problem with some USB2 sticks on PCs with USB1....others will tell me it would work better and then go to recog it OK...it's a funny world.

TomJerry 10:00 27 Jan 05

some CDs would not be recognised becuase CDs were not properly "closed"

If CDs are generated by drag and drop method which relies on "pocket writting" such as DirectCD with Roxio, InCD with Nero, FileCD with NTI, DLA with Sonic, they cannnot be read by other computers unless (a) the same software is installed, or (b) CDs have been closed when they are produced.

SO, no read CD is not your problem and you cannot solve it. Even you have DirectCD installed, you will not able to read CDs generated by InCD because all packet writting softwares are incompitable

some USB2 devices will not work with USB1 porter, they many even freeze or clash computer, for PCMCIA to usb2 adaptor:
Ebuyer 2 Port Hi-speed USB 2.0 Cardbus Pcmcia Adapter £12.07 click here

terendak_uk 10:17 27 Jan 05

I think you rounded it up nicely. ALso, are you inferring that XP has no advantages over 2000 vis a vis my problem? Would XP be a "better" OS for presentations, in any way? Just covering my back for when the Qs and complaints come rainin down!

TomJerry 11:04 27 Jan 05

personally I like 2000 (I use both in different machines) and see only disadvanteg of XP because loading time is slightly longer, but Micrsoft is going to stop security upgrade for 2000 in a few months time, so I may have to upgrade

if the spec of your laptop is upto it, RAM 256+, CPU, 1GHz+, it may be better to upgrade because (1) hardware support is better (2) if something gone wrong, noone will blame you for not upgrade

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:12 27 Jan 05

My work laptop is 2000 I use it as you do for presentations.

My home PC is XP used to present large screen sometimes.

Quality of presentation is usually down to

1. the software being used (powerpoint)

2. the hardware computer cpu / memory / projector

rather than the operating system.

terendak_uk 12:50 27 Jan 05

Many thanks to all

terendak_uk 12:53 27 Jan 05

Until it is required by the support withdrawel. By then I'll have all the neccessary drivers for the install ( darn thing came with a restore disk, only)
Thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…