Win 2000 - Help please

denali 10:06 09 Oct 04

I appreciate this is very presumtious of me, but is there a kind soul out there who could possibly loan me a 2000 disk. My daughter has had this O/S for three years without a hitch, until now. I just cannot get in to do anything. everything she has is backed up on the HD but I cannot access it. I spent all last evening on the 2000 website and the concensus is I need the disk. I am loathe to format or anything else because she has almost two years of college work installed. I was thinking of XP. but she would need almost a complete set of equipment, according to the compatability report. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Diodorus Siculus 10:58 09 Oct 04

Do you have another PC onto which you can install her disk as slave and in that way access the data that is there?

denali 18:35 09 Oct 04

Diodorus Siculus
Thank you for your response. I had thought of this but know very little about PCs. I have a new Meridon with XP Pro and the last thing I want is to mess it up

Diodorus Siculus 18:54 09 Oct 04

It should be easy enough - just be sure that the jumpers are set to make it a slave disk and it should be recognised upon boot up.

denali 18:58 09 Oct 04

Diodorus Siculus.
Thanks again. I think I shall leave it for now -gutless?- and see if anyone is kind enough to lend me the disk

Diodorus Siculus 19:04 09 Oct 04

Do you have the cd key for win 2000?

wobblymike 19:25 09 Oct 04

Hi

I don't see what getting a 2000 disk is going to do to help your problem - I must agree with Diodorus Siculus abobe install it as a slave and reload your OS onto a new HDD and then recover your data - unless the HDD is completely kaput you should be able to do it. If you want a walk through as to how to do it post back and I'll happily oblige. Do you have an OS on a disc?

denali 23:13 09 Oct 04

wobblymike:
Thank you for your kind offer. I gratefully accept. I do not have the disk or o/s number. It was pre-installed when I bought the PC for my daughter over three years ago.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now