Will This Work?

anniel 13:02 04 Apr 05

For various reasons we have decided not to have a wireless network and will now try the followong route:

1. Cable from 1st PC into router or access point.

2. Cable from 2nd PC into router/access point.

3. Cable from Set top Box/DSL Modem into router.

Does this sound OK and will there be much fiddling around with settings etc.

Grateful for simple advice.

TomJerry 13:46 04 Apr 05

it should be router, access point is for wireless

if you use adsl BB, it is better to get a router with modem build-in, for example, Ebuyer 4 Port SPI Firewall ADSL Modem Router £29.99 click here

anniel 14:03 04 Apr 05

We have a Netgear 54Mbps Wireless router WGR 614. We thought it would be OK just to plug it all in and away we go...might not be so simple after al.

I had not wanted to buy any more equipment.

Reevey11 14:19 04 Apr 05

i have a buffalo wireless router/access point, if you want it can run just as a wired router, in the config pages you have the option to turn off wireless access point.

Try looking on the config page for the router/access point to see if yours can be disabled. If it can it will work as just a router.

Reevey11

TomJerry 14:22 04 Apr 05

if it is cable BB, you just need to plug in

anniel 15:35 04 Apr 05

WE have a set top box and have 2Mb ADSL which either connects directly or we can use it for wireless connection.

anniel 16:12 04 Apr 05

is whethere once we get connected, do we have to muck around with configurations, settings or whatever.

I have a memory like a sieve so will have to write everything down as we go.

How complex will it be?

Forum Editor 23:09 04 Apr 05

so long as your DSL modem has an Ethernet connection you simply plug it into the router. Then you can either connect your computers to the router using standard Ethernet cables, or use machines with wireless adapters installed, or a mixture of both.

The router setup software will guide you through the configuration (you must have a computer connected to the router via a cable for this part of the process), and the router should automatically detect your ISP - all you should have to do is enter your login details during setup. Once you've done this the router will automatically send your login to your ISP via the modem each time it's turned on. All computers connected to the router, or within its wireless distribution area, will share the broadband connection.

It isn't complex, but then I would say that wouldn't I? Netgear are pretty good with their setup wizards, and I don't think you'll go wrong. So, once again.........

Plug modem into router (make sure you use the right port on the router - it will be marked).

Then connect a computer to the router via the cable that was supplied. Now run the Netgear software, and set the router up to send your login details via the modem.

Test to make sure that you are connected to the internet on that machine.

Now connect other computers to the router.

Good luck.

anniel 14:46 06 Apr 05

went to PC World ( just because it is convenient) bought the only ethernet adapeter they had..a Belkin.

Made sure my PC was conected via the router and then installed the USB/Ethernet adapter in other PC and ran the cable to the router and plugged in. The hardware wizard recognised the adapter and it was installed and now husband is happlily working away on the net.

It was so simple I could not believe it. OK, so the flat has this ugly great wire runing from his room down the hall and into the bedroom.....but we will get that sorted and we eill never have to worry about that dratted wireless connection again.

I am a happy bunny.

Thanks to all of you. I printed off the FEs instructions and carried them out...but there was no mucking about with the configuration, settings or anything.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…