Will Windows XP run a DOS programme?

pj123 14:52 10 Jul 05

The title says it all. I am running Windows 98SE because I have a few DOS programmes which I use regularly. I keep getting told (by those who know it all) that I am going to have to change to XP at some stage, but, as far as I know, XP does not have DOS.

Stuartli 15:09 10 Jul 05

You will need to read up a bit at sources such as:

click here

click here

click here

click here

click here

But you may be surprised how successful you may/will be...:-)

pj123 15:44 10 Jul 05

Thanks, Stuartli. Your first and last link didn't work but the three in between need an awful lot of reading.

None of the DOS programmes I use are games so I may just install the DOS programmes I have on a friend's computer running XP and see if they work.

They are all free programmes that were got from magazine cover disks when they where using 720 floppy disks a long, long, time ago. But they are invaluable to me, and they are still working on my system to this day. I take it that I just double click them in XP as I do now in Win 98SE?

woodchip 15:51 10 Jul 05

My guess is no they will not run or you will have very limited success. Are these business programs?

Klof Ron 16:06 10 Jul 05

This may help click here

pj123 16:28 10 Jul 05

woodchip, no none of them are business programmes.

May seem silly to you (and others) but one is a crossword puzzle solver, one is an anagram solver, another is one that works with Countdown on TV (I always get the conundrum right). There is another one that creates a grid to put your own "find the words". The other one is an Astronomy programme "Sky at Night". I have Redshift (useless), Astronmer for Windows, (also useless) and Orbits (another useless programme).

So looks like I stay with Win 98SE at the moment.

VoG II 16:33 10 Jul 05

Try these click here click here click here (works in XP).

octal 17:02 10 Jul 05

I use Dosbox click here which lets me run all my DOS programs in Linux, they have a Windows version.

Stuartli 17:35 10 Jul 05

Just hover your mouse over the three links involved and the URL will be displayed.

Try an Open In New Link on each.

Stuartli 22:23 10 Jul 05

here's another link to the second link above which outlines how one DOS games owner has no problems runnning them in XP:

click here

There's also XP's Program Compatability Wizard but, to be honest, I've never had to try it as everyting I had on 98SE that's still relevant works OK.

pj123 13:53 11 Jul 05

Have now given all the floppies to someone who has XP to install them on his PC. He will let me know whether they work or not.

Thanks, VoG™ have checked your links but they seem to be web based only.

Am staying with Win 98SE for as long as I can.

Thanks everyone. Ticked.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now