Will a windows repair get round reinstalling XP

Madscot_uk 16:50 20 Sep 06

I have finally decided to make the jump from agp/ddr to pci-e & drr2. When i did a similar upgrade around 2 yrs ago (skt 478 to 775) windows didn't like the change in hardware and gave me a lot of interesting error msgs.

Will doing a windows repair write over the hardware profile XP stores. Im changing mobo, ram & gpu. Processor, hdrives...well everything else, will stay the same. Or will i have to go for the whole reinstall process?

Oh running XP pro, got sp2 as a zip file so getting updates not a huge issue, just reinstalling all my applications!

Regards

Ms

dazza39 16:59 20 Sep 06

If your changing hardware I would go for a complete re-format and reinstall of windows,don't think repair option would work for you.Just remember to back up any important files first.

User-312386 17:06 20 Sep 06

There would be to many registry changes to repair over the top

Give it a bash though

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:20 20 Sep 06

Drivers to disable BEFORE changing motherboard
click here

Madscot_uk 17:25 20 Sep 06

Cheers for all your thoughts, thanks for the link fruitbat/\o/\ i will follow the advice given on that page & when i get everything up and running i will let you know what worked, be it repair or reinstall

Ms

Madscot_uk 22:31 20 Sep 06

sadly i think there is a fault in one of my components, well ive described the problem fully here click here , so the answer to if i can get away with it or not will have to wait!

Ms

Stuartli 22:49 20 Sep 06

I immediately do an XP Repair after replacing a motherboard - XP doesn't always like/take to a new mobo.

Worked without any problems on the two occasions I've done it in the last 12 months.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced