Will Windows recognise a 160-200GB HD?

summer1976 19:30 10 Mar 05

Hi,

I just read that 127GB is the largest volume that windows will recognise unless you install the service packs or partition the drive. Is this true?

Currently i'm running Win XP Home Edition service pack 1 with an 80GB hard drive. I'm going to buy a larger one to use as my slave drive. I intend to upgrade to service pack 2 after I install the new drive, but I don't see th epoint on shelling out for a 200GB drive if i'm only getting 127GB back.

Also I know it makes sense to have the larger drive as the master but that seems like too much hard work.

Any ideas?

Jeffers22 19:32 10 Mar 05

The lowest version of XP that will recognise your drive is in fact SP1 - and you have it.

Jeffers22 19:33 10 Mar 05

Bear in mind that your mobo may have a bios that will in itself limit the size recognised if it is a few years old.

summer1976 19:46 10 Mar 05

Thanks very much. My pc is only 7 months old so I shouldn't have any trouble there.

I'm off to purchase a HD :o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…