Will a scanner cause conflicts?

palinka 11:20 14 Dec 03

I'm about to buy a scanner for my sister for Christmas; probably a Canon. Her system is w98 and she has 2 USB slots. She also has a camera connected (through one of the USBs). Reading past threads about scanners I found one titled "Camera & Scanner USB conflict - help!" dated 31.7.03 which makes me wonder if it will result in conflicts. I'm anxious to avoid this as I will be the one who has to sort out any problems!

johnnyrocker 11:22 14 Dec 03

if it is 98 and not 98se then i would think you can expect probs as win 98 has virtually no usb support.

johnny.

palinka 11:32 14 Dec 03

if that's the case, can anyone suggest a solution please.

Big Elf 11:43 14 Dec 03

Buy her XP for Xmas and a scanner for her birthday:0)

If her camera works through the USB port doesn't that suggest that she has 98SE and although she may have problem with a scanner you could say that about anything you connect to a PC

palinka 12:16 14 Dec 03

Thanks, Big Elf, but I'm certain she has W98. Her previous scanner (now defunct) had a parallel connection but knowing she had 2 USB ports and only one of them currently in use I didn't forsee any probs with a new USB-connecting scanner until I read the thread I mentioned.

Big Elf 12:21 14 Dec 03

In that case it probably depends on how well the scanner driver is written and it's difficult to find that out without actually trying it.

palinka 12:38 14 Dec 03

Thanks, Big Elf. Looks like my neat solution to a Christmas present may not be so neat after all!

MAJ 12:43 14 Dec 03

You could buy her a parallel scanner, palinka. click here

MAJ 12:45 14 Dec 03
  palinka 14:00 14 Dec 03

Thanks, Maj and everyone else. As her system has been built by a local "little man" I think I'll suggest she gets him to provide and install a new scanner and send the bill to me; it's not the way Father Christmas normally operates, but it may save me a lot of aggro in the long term!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…