Will Rome Total War work on my PC

bta1 20:39 25 Oct 05

I am using XP.
I have 250gb hard disk. (225gb free)
1024 mb ddr
ati radeon x300 se pci graphics card
with a pentium 4 3.0 ghx processor.

Now, i think this is pretty good. But i don't have a lot of luck with games. And they don't seem to work.
From what i read on the specs it should but i was wondering if anyone had anything similar and is using the game.

citadel 22:28 25 Oct 05

your graphics card is poor. You could try playing the demo to see if it works ok.

bta1 22:32 25 Oct 05

i specifically said that i wanted to use the computer for games when i went to pc world.

So they have lumped me with a naff graphics card.
Why would they do that?

Starfox 22:37 25 Oct 05

From the official Rome TW fansite

"Minimum System Requirements:
- English version of Microsoft Windows 98SE/ME/2000/XP
- Pentium III 1.0GHz or Athlon 1.0GHz processor or higher
- 256MB RAM
- 8x Speed CD-ROM drive (1200KB/sec sustained transfer rate) and latest drivers
- 300MB of uncompressed free hard disk space
- 100% DirectX 9.0b compatible 16-bit sound card and latest drivers
- 100% Windows 98SE/ME/2000/XP compatible mouse, keyboard and latest drivers
- DirectX 9.0b
- 3D hardware Accelerator Card Required - 100% DirectX 9.0b compatible 64MB Hardware Accelerated video card and the latest drivers."

So although as citadel says your graphics card is poor you should be able to play this game.

Starfox 22:39 25 Oct 05

P C World's idea of a games machine leaves much to be desired I am afraid,you need to upgrade that graphics card to do any serious gaming.

wee eddie 09:24 26 Oct 05

How long is a piece of string!

You told PCW that you wanted your PC to be able to play Games. It is unlikely that you specified the Games you wished to play.

This PC that you have will play Games, just not those that require the latest, fast, large memory graphics cards.

So they haven't fibbed, just interpreted your requirement rather loosely.

You may have offered 3 or 4 suitable PCs, and you chose this one. Of course, if this were the only one they offered, then they were at fault, but my experience of shops is that Sales Staff always try to Sell-up and Customers try to spend less.

mike1967 10:06 26 Oct 05

Looks like it will play that game fine, I have the x300 graphics card it might not be the best, but its played every game so far

freaky 12:22 26 Oct 05

You will not have any problems playing the game with your PC. However, if you do have any problems due to your graphics card limitations - then in the game Video Options, you could lower some of the settings. You will have to do this by trial and error until you find a suitable compromise.

wky 12:39 26 Oct 05

my pc at home, is a athlon 2800, 512 ram and radeon 9200 gfx card, I do serious gaming with it. Rome total war works on it.

garrema 14:32 26 Oct 05

With the machine you have you should be able to play the game.
However you will have to check that the quality settings in game are correct i.e. set to low or medium. Resolution is low i.e. 1024 x 768 may struggle.
In the GPU controll panel make sure AA & AF are set to off and not application controlled.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…