Will recovery CD install onto new hard drive?

fudge 10:13 27 Mar 05

I'm using Window ME. Having had some problems I decided to re-install windows from the recovery CD that came with the computer and installed using the option 'without a hard drive format'.

During installation it stopped and a message said there was insufficient space on my hard drive. Now I know I have over 30Gb af space on a 40Gb drive, so I ran some checks with Fix-it utilities. This identified several problems, none of which I really understand but it was enough to make me assume I have a hard disk problem.

Now, here's the dilemma. If I re-install with a format it may not re-install after the format, due to the drive problems, so I could be left with nothing. At least I have a working system at the moment, albeit with a few problems!

So, I'm thinking it would be better to play and safe and fit a new hard drive. But if I do, can I install windows onto the new drive from the recovery CD, or is this only usuable with the drive installed by the manufacturer? I have no other copy of windows but I do have a start-up floppy disc.

Diemmess 10:27 27 Mar 05

Some will and some won't!

Certainly stay with your existing system and use the route of trying to "recover" onto a new HD.

I am hoping that you will find its all there. I know it means buying a new HD just to find out, but a second HD is a huge advantage in a tight corner.

If you do start with a new HD, do disconnect the old one first just to prevent a fatal mistake of doing things to the wrong disk!

bremner 10:30 27 Mar 05

It will depend on what type of recovery disk you have.

My Mesh one is to all intents and purposes a full XP disk - if your was the same then you would have no problem installing on another HDD.

Other manufacturers place the O/S files on a hidden partition on the drive and the recovery CD simply accesses that - if that was the case you would not be able to install from the recovery disk onto another HDD.

What is the make of your machine?

plsndrs3 10:39 27 Mar 05

is to remove the old drive and plug in the new, without making any changes to either at first. Try the recovery disk and if it works K on the new drive you can re-install the old drive as a slave. If it all goes belly up you can simply switch back to the original set-up and then you can install the new drive as a slave and use cloning software [saw a frebie on a 'puter mag in WH Smith at the weekend] to make an exact copy of the old drive onto the new one so that ii is bootable and will run as before. The only problem with this is that the backup software could be on a hidden partition [as mentioned above] and you might not be able to restore again in the future. Worth a go, I'd say!

fudge 10:52 27 Mar 05

So that's not very clear-cut then!!

Bremner, my fear is what you suggest - that windows is already on a hidden partition, which rules out the new drive option.

The other options suggested seem a good idea - is it as simple as replacing the drive and re-installing, or are there other steps on the way?

My last resort at the moment is to re-format the existing drive, 'cos if that fails I'm stuffed!

BRYNIT 10:55 27 Mar 05

Information that would help us to help you is what computer/os etc and what problems are with the hard drive.

fudge 12:07 27 Mar 05

Systemax PC running Win ME. 40Gb hard drive. (well out of warranty so tech support can't - or won't - help).

Problems have been frequent freezing and crashes. Some applications are suddenly not accessing data or saying files are missing. Some applications very slow to load and the system has generally become mucher slower and unstable.

I tried initially to run the recovery CD but it wouldn't load (that was on another posting) but since then it has loaded OK (don't know why it didn't before nor why it does now!) and the message from that is what triggered my initial post above.

When I ran Fix-It, the tests that failed were 'Read/Verify' and 'Sequential Access Test'. Also a 'Stress' test which it says should take a few seconds aborts after running for more than 30 minutes.

I don't know what these failures mean but they have set my alarm bells ringing and that I assume I have a hard drive which may fail soon.

BRYNIT 13:03 27 Mar 05

Have you run scan disk to check HD. For instructions click here;en-us;150532.

BRYNIT 13:05 27 Mar 05

Link didn't work just cut and paste support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;150532 into address bar

BRYNIT 13:06 27 Mar 05

Made a mess of that

cut and paste

into address bar

plsndrs3 15:05 27 Mar 05

including naming programs to use [some of which have a free trial!]:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…