Will this processor work?

sieggylee 19:50 22 Jan 11

Hey guys,...i got an acer M3400

click here|category_root|Office%2C+PCs+and+phones|14418968/c_2/2|14418968|Computers+and+monitors|14419111.htm

and was wondering if this processor would work in it
click here

Anyone know??...thanks ^_^

johnnyrocker 19:52 22 Jan 11

first link does not work

johnny

northumbria61 20:03 22 Jan 11

Also - 1st link does not work. I would say that this processor would work as both use AM3 socket.
click here

GaT7 20:05 22 Jan 11

Acer Argos link again click here.

The PC at Acer click here.

Specs at click here say dual, triple & quad-core CPUs are compatible but no mention of six-core, i.e. the CPU you want to change to.

It will be difficult to find out for sure without contacting Acer directly, so that's what I'd recommend click here. If it was a regular off-the-shelf motherboard it would be much easier to determine one way or the other.

If they don't know or not sure, one other way to upgrade would be to buy a AMD six-core compatible mATX motherboard to replace the one in the Acer. G

sieggylee 20:10 22 Jan 11

wow quick response lol.well looking at the catalogue in front of me they do the pc with an upgrade to a AMD PHENOM II X6 CORE (2.6GHZ)....so it should take the one i want right?

northumbria61 20:15 22 Jan 11

also socket AM3 has 938 pins

GaT7 20:17 22 Jan 11

Do you have an Argos number / link to the six-core one? Is it the same model / series? It will all depend on the motherboard used.

Any particular reason for wanting to upgrade the CPU? Will it work out cheaper this way? What will you be using the PC for.

---------------------------------------

A little more explanation for my previous post..

'If they don't know or not sure, one other way to upgrade would be to buy a AMD six-core compatible mATX motherboard to replace the one in the Acer'

That's after trying the six-core CPU in the Acer motherboard to check for compatibility. A bios update if available may help if it doesn't. G

sieggylee 20:24 22 Jan 11

no i dont believe its on the net.it says in the catalogue that its the same model.

The reason why i wanna upgrade is i like to play games.I got an Radeon 5770 7gig ram and just wanted a good porcessor.I know its not an ideal gaming pc but its much better than my old one lol

sieggylee 20:27 22 Jan 11

well just did a one on one and the bloke i spoke to said it will.I asked if he could gimme a link but he couldnt

GaT7 20:30 22 Jan 11

If you want to get a significant improvement in games, upgrade the graphics card (GPU). Upgrading the CPU will not have much of an effect, & certainly not worth £260.

Upgrading the GPU will most likely need a PSU upgrade too. Then there's also the space issue to thing about - is your case / the PC your buying big enough for the new GPU? G

GaT7 20:31 22 Jan 11

"...well just did a one on one and the bloke i spoke to said it will."

What will do what exactly? G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…