Will not connect to the internet. Virus/Trojan?

peterleemaxwell 17:54 29 Jun 14

I have a strange one. My PC laptop will not connect to the internet although the icon suggests it's connected with an excellent signal. This is working as I am on it with my desktop at the moment. As soon as I try to connect with any programme to update or try to refresh my anti-virus it will not connect stating there is no connection. My son-in-law says it the same as he has got and is a RP Trojan. As I'm not up to speed with this is there anything I can do? Maybe they should if possible hand out prison sentences to all that create these menaces. Help appreciated.

Woolwell 18:04 29 Jun 14

Connecting by cable or wifi?

peterleemaxwell 18:12 29 Jun 14

Hi Woolwell wifi

peterleemaxwell 18:14 29 Jun 14

The icon in the taskbar says excellent connection

Woolwell 18:32 29 Jun 14

All that means is an excellent connection to the router if you hover over it it should state internet access. Try right clicking it and troubleshoot problems.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:00 29 Jun 14

IE?

let Internet explorer diagnose the problem.

First is anything else connecting via the router to the internet such as a tablet or smart phone? if so router is PK and its the PC problem.

If nothing will connect then possibly router or line or even the ISp is down at the moment. (My phone socket failed and I couldn't ring out / in or connect broadband check if the phones working.)

Ian in Northampton 20:01 29 Jun 14

Problems with the connection from the router to the internet - which is what you've got - are much more often caused by something other than a virus/trojan, especially with wi-fi (which as far as i'm concerned is akin to black magic anyway...). I fear your son may be jumping to conclusions (easily done these days with all the malware flying about - but that paranoia (OK, then, legitimate mistrust) can easily lead us to blame malware rather than something less sinister). As Woolwell says: first, try and let Windows repair the connection.

Ian in Northampton 20:02 29 Jun 14

Fruit Bat /\0/\: as the OP says, his desktop can connect - it's just his laptop that won't.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:19 29 Jun 14

Check router settings not blocking laptop.

wee eddie 21:32 29 Jun 14

Any virus or trojan that cut it's host off the Internet, would be pretty useless.

As the others say. Look elsewhere.

peterleemaxwell 21:33 29 Jun 14

The status of the connection states its connected. Everything hangs and moves very slowly like there is something tying up the ram although in safe mode moves normally. I have run an anti-malware, IObit and even on a full scan found nothing in S.Mode. I have looked for anything suspicious in 'Alt-control-delete' and could see nothing that shouldn't be there. I wonder if this is embedded into the system? I know I could put a fresh XP wipe over on but as I have everything just right was hoping to alleviate the problem via a software or deletion fix.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5