Will not boot (Win 2000 and old!)

Diemmess 21:31 05 Nov 08

Peevish son tonight failed to boot "that old computer you gave me".

He cannot get beyond what I fancy is the point where the computer searches for a bootable disk.

Tried uselessly over the phone.
can reach command prompt only, but offered only one path which it seems covers the screen in characters and then gives up with all sorts of stop messages.

He can get into the bios but cannot find his way around to help me.

I intend to try and sort this tomorrow morning when he is at work.

Do I assume the HD to be dead? ....
or
Try repair from the 2000 cd ?....
or
Type magic words like Fix mbr? ( A ritual which knowing gurus use but would have to be explained to me.)

Technotiger 21:39 05 Nov 08

Hi, I don't think it is dead - covers the screen in characters and then gives up with all sorts of stop messages, it would not do that if it was expired.

I would try the Repair option first.

Technotiger 21:40 05 Nov 08

On second thoughts - try a bit of BIOS magic first, then the Repair option if needed.

Diemmess 08:14 06 Nov 08

^

birdface 08:20 06 Nov 08

Old computer.Make sure the air vents are clear of dust and fluff if so inside will also need cleaning.Make sure all the fans are working properly while in there.

Diemmess 08:32 06 Nov 08

buteman

The computer lights up and eventually produces error messages and wont boot W2K.

it doesn't shut down on its own or give any sign of overheating though cleaning is an obvious need for any bothers, I don't think this is a problem - yet.

I shall be away on my own, without access to the net from about 9 oclock.
Just trying to gather any hints while here to help when I get at the thing!

^wave^ 08:40 06 Nov 08

old computer think mother goard battery

Diemmess 11:25 06 Nov 08

Success!
The crucial warning messages about no disk detected were confirmed in the BIOS which showed no device on the primary master or slave.

I pulled off and reinserted the data cable from the HD and all became sweetness and light.

No history of moving anything around inside, but if I had to guess, the motherboard end of the data cable had perhaps withdrawn a shade too much.

Technotiger 12:53 06 Nov 08

Grreat, thanks for your feedback - and the Brownie points :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…