will normal extension lead work with bb

ΜΔRΙU$ 19:45 12 May 03

i have seen another thread on a similar topic but i feel the need to start a new one. My bb pci modem and 2 microfilters are on there way from force9, but i need to know if i can connect it like the following....
pci modem-normal extension lead-microfilter-phone socket

i cannot move the pc to near the phone socket and i have a telephone and sky tv and the extension cable plugged into the phone socket at the moment, can i connect it the way i said above? I have heard about another kind of extension cable but other threads say it is a waste of time and a standard one will surfice.

Can someone give me a STRAIGHT answer with the information i suppled as to how to connect and how and where to put the microfilters concerning the phone,sky etc

thanks

doug vem 19:59 12 May 03

All I can say is what I gave in my suggestions to jediknight's question. In my case, although I could run through through a normal extension lead direct to the master socket, once I connected via the microfilter I got a very poor response. Plugging the house phone in as well and it didn't work at all. As I indicated the extension cable is rather long. Replacing it with a made up 17 metre cable and everything is OK.

Hopefully, other people will chip in and elabourate with better technical knowhow.

mark e 20:15 12 May 03

Filters go onto all telephone lines in the house
eg: i have three phone boxes all have filters on
the filters go into the bt boxes before connecting anything at all

Hope this helps

ΜΔRΙU$ 20:34 12 May 03

so would just one filter go into my phone socket and then would i connect the extension cable, phone and sky to that as i only have one socket in the house? and what about the extension?

jediknight007 20:37 12 May 03

Well, I'm going to see whether I can get a second extension cable because what I can do is move the phone socket closer to my PC. What I do is plug an extension cable into the main phone socket and at the other end, I plug in the filter and then I plug the RJ11 cable between the filter and the PC. Then instead of plugging the phones and stuff into the main phone socket via a splitter or something, I use an extension cable to plug them into the filter near my PC. Of course, there will be a lot of wires around and others will have to come into my room all the time to unplug the phone but it will cost me nothing if I manage to find a second extension cable somewhere in my house.

The other option which seems easiest is to just buy a longer RJ11-RJ11 cable to plug your modem to the filter in the main phone socket. Same as what you would normally do but with a longer cable. Cable should cost about £5 like the one I posted on my thread but I need someone to help me confirm it is the right cable since there is no picture.

suttzy 20:56 12 May 03

The way I have mine set up is :-

Master socket

Standard two way splitter

Standard extension (from one side of standard splitter) leading upstairs connecting direct into modem (no filter on this line)(BT plug on one end and RJ11 on the other)(home made 8mtrs approx)

Standard extension (from the other side of standard splitter) leading into dining room and normal outlet box screwed to skirting, adsl filter and telephone connected to this.

With this setup I have just recorded this on click here

Downstream 478 Kbps (59.8 KB/sec) 516 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 243 Kbps (30.4 KB/sec) 262 Kbps (inc. overheads

To answer your question I can see no reason why you cannot use a normal extension from your master socket to your computer. as others have said on this forum a few more meters is not going to make any difference to the distance from the exchange

regards

graham√ 21:03 12 May 03

So, you can see you won't get a STRAIGHT answer to the information you suppled, only opinions.

doug vem 21:07 12 May 03

Not wishing to throw any spanners but in my case I was running off a long extension lead 17 metres to the pc. Provided nothing else was on I was able to connect. However, as the Maplin guy said, The cable that BT runs to your house is of a much higher standard to the normal domestic cable. This often uses just solid core wire. Data cable uses multistranded wires. As high speed signals travel more on the surface of the wire than down the core, using multistranded cable reduces the impedance ti high soeed signals. At the end of the day, if it works don't fix or modify it. If it doesn't work then what I have been able to glean may be of help.

ΜΔRΙU$ 22:00 12 May 03

ok graham√ dont get your knickers in a twist if you have not got anything useful to say then dont bother, thanks to everyone ELSE who helped me find the answer i have alot of things to think about there i just hope it all goes well!

jediknight007 22:12 12 May 03

Sorry to but in but we have similar problems and I would just like to ask anyone where is the cheapest place to buy a longer RJ11 to RJ11 cable. Will they sell any at PC World?

graham√ 22:14 12 May 03

Don't mention it. As doug vem says 'impedance ti high soeed signals'

I would ignore me and go along with doug vem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…