WILL MY SPEC RUN GAMES?

Razza14 09:08 14 Feb 08

Will my soec below run games well with no lag or slow loading times?

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800 X2 (2.50 Ghz
Asus M2N- DDR 800
160Gb SATA 2 Hard Drive
2Gb DDR 2 800 Mhz
ATI Radeon HD 2400 PRO 256 Mb

crosstrainer 09:12 14 Feb 08

The graphics card which may struggle a bit in high end games, I'd say you should be ok...You don't specify if your card is PCI-E or agp, but there are some good deals around on cards at the moment. Try downloading a demo of FEAR:

click here

And see how it runs before upgrading your card.

kingisangus 09:51 14 Feb 08

The graphics card is totally inadequate for modern gaming im afraid, games like Crysis, Bioshock,COD4 and Quake 4 etc will kill it unless you run them at such low specs it defeats the point of them.

That card costs £37 inc VAT, bad news is if you are putting a rig together today to cope with the new titles coming out (if you are not, happy days!) you are looking at a £200 card.

Razza14 10:29 14 Feb 08

what about a geforce 8500 gt?

Totally-braindead 10:37 14 Feb 08

Pathetic card the 8500GT, need a 8800GT at least for best performance but it of course is quite expensive.

kingisangus 11:01 14 Feb 08

They key thing here is there is no point in buying a nice quick processor and ram if the GFX card is not up to scratch. Are you looking at buying all these components to self assemble? If so whats your total budget and what parts do you have already, we may be able to suggest a better balance to free up some cash for the GFX card.

Devil Fish 12:12 14 Feb 08

if you are really on a tight budget the 8600 may be worth a look up but again it wont play modern games like crysis maxed out, As suggested by Totally-braindead the 8800gt is the best bang for your buck at the moment if you can stretch to it

Totally-braindead 14:09 14 Feb 08

I must confess I have been considering an upgrade from my rather poor 7600GS and while I would like a 8800GT as it does appear to be "best bang for the bucks" I cannot afford it. Therefore I am considering a 8600GT instead.

However as mentioned if I did get the 8600GT I would have to lower a lot of settings to get it to play ok with the latest games but I'm willing to do that as I haven't the money for an 8800.

And also as mentioned you need a balanced system. Buy a top of the line processor and add a poor graphics card and its a waste of money, and vice versa a poor processor and a brilliant graphics card also won't cut it, you want a decent processor and a decent graphics card without going to extremes.

The 8500GT is a poor card, perhaps I overstated it calling it pathetic but a 8600GT is better and its quite cheap, if you're really into gaming the 8800GT is far superior. If you spend a lot of money on a system and then add something like the 8500GT and try playing the likes of Crysis you will not be a happy bunny as you will have to drop a lot of the settings. Don't get me wrong it might look not too bad but you'll be thinking to yourself if thats what it looks like on low settings and at a low resolution what would it look like on higher settings at a higher resolution.

User-1159794 14:18 14 Feb 08

Try this site.
click here

kingisangus 14:48 14 Feb 08

If you can stretch your budget to £110 for your Gfx card, this is a real bargain powerhouse that will let you play modern games at decent settings:

click here

Though if you can get an 8800 GTX i can highly reccomend one!!

Razza14 17:23 14 Feb 08

Hi

Thanks for all your replys. I am using pc option to build my new pc and i have a budget of £300 for a base unit.

Hope this helps so you can give me some advice on ballancing out the componets.

Thanks

Razza 14

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5