Will my RAID array work on a different motherboard

Peter V 22:39 13 Jul 06

I have 2 x 200 GB SATA drives in a striped configuration. Unfortunately, my motherboard has died, so I need to replace it. I am reluctant to go with the same model, but I am not sure what effect it will have on my exisiting RAID array.

Does anyone know if the RAID chipset has to be the same, or is the data flow standard irrespective of the chipset.

Thanks in advance,

Pete

ade.h 22:45 13 Jul 06

Er... well, I've just found something that I don't know about RAID! I thought I knew RAID pretty well, but this has never occured to me. I would guess that it might not work if striping is used IF you set the new chip to use a different stripe size or something. If you ensure the same stripe size, it should work.

To be safe, I would consider backing up the array to a third disk then rebuild the new array from that, much like you can do in three-disk arrays.

Peter V 08:06 14 Jul 06

This is something I did not consider either. The problem I have is I cannot back it up without the motherboard!

I think you are correct about the cluster sizes, but correct me if I am wrong, but this is configured on the drive during formatting, so the existing cluster sizes should remain intact.

It was a while ago when I configured the RAID array, so what I have said may be wrong and I did actually configure the cluster sizes when installing the RAID drivers.

Can you clarify...

ade.h 14:56 14 Jul 06

When you build a striped array, the controller will normally give an option to adjust the stripe size (that may not be the exact term, but I'll use it for now to differentiate from cluster sizes). 9 out of 10 people would leave it as is if they're presented with that option at all. The question is, would the new chip use the same stripe size as the old one and if it does, will it actually prevent it from reading the array? Or will it just adjust itself automatically?

It's a bit of a "suck it and see" situation. As long as you don't choose any option to build an array, there would probably be no harm in connecting the disks and seeing if they are recognised.

On a related note, this thought just struck me: you ma know this already, but you'll probably need to run a Windows repair from the CD to cope with the massive change brought about by a new mobo and all its drivers.

Peter V 16:41 14 Jul 06

Yep, was aware of the driver issues the change will pose. I think you are right, I will start searching the reviews for a good board for supporting MCE with a PCI-E slot and SATA H/D's. I have nothing to lose, after all.

Any suggestions on a good board are welcome.

ade.h 16:46 14 Jul 06

I use Gigabytes at the mo'. Absolutely love 'em. Great features like Dual BIOS, the Intel RAID chips are very good and the build quality is top notch. The board in my main PC is a Royale spec with a 945 Pro chipset. I used to use Abits, which are also pretty good.

Smiler 16:46 14 Jul 06

What motherboard do you have at the moment Peter V

Peter V 13:55 18 Jul 06

Sorry for the delay, Smiler - work is crazy at the moment. I had a Foxconn NF4K8AC-RS socket 939 board with built in SATA RAID controller. I cannot remember the make of controller, but I think it was VIA. I am looking to change to a Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 Ultra or GA-K8N Pro -SLI. I need to have SATA RAID and PCI-E 16x single slot as a minimum on the new board. Any suggestions most welcome...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now