Will my old hard drive in new pc ?

Geraint J 12:25 24 Jun 05

I have bought a new AMD 64 pc and it comes with an 80gb hard drive. My old pc has an 120gb hard drive that I would like to keep. My question is can I just remove the 80gb drive in the new pc and replace it with my old drive without reinstaling XP or will the drive refuse to work unless I format it and start from scratch ?

mattyc_92 12:28 24 Jun 05

You can just move it to your new system, but you will need to phone Microsoft to reactivate Windows (assuming you are running Windows XP)

Audeal 12:30 24 Jun 05

If your old drive has an Operating System installed on it (XP, for example)then it will just need to be swapped over. If it has no Operating System on it then it will need to be installed before it will work.

Indigo 1 12:43 24 Jun 05

You could just add it as a slave and use it for mass storage by moving the jumper to slave position on the back. you would then have 200Gb of storage.

Legolas 13:01 24 Jun 05

I have swapped drives between computers a number of times and sometimes they work no problem andother times they require the 0S to be reinstalled before they will boot. If your drive will not boot up in the new system do a repair of XP and it will be OK. You should not need to reformat your drive in any case.

Geraint J 15:14 24 Jun 05

Thanks to you all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…