Will my old drive caddy allow USB upgrade?

Pineman100 15:08 22 Jan 14
Answered

I have an old backup HDD in a USB caddy, which I bought about 6 - 7 years ago. The drive inside the caddy has a very small capacity, so I want to upgrade it by fitting a 2TB SATA drive (3.5in).

I think the caddy is designated USB 1.0, but my computer today has USB 3.0 capability. What defines the USB capability of the HDD in the caddy - is it the computer, the USB cable, the external HDD, or is it the circuit board in the caddy itself?

If I'm stuck with a USB 1.0 capability, then I might as well buy a new caddy with the new HDD.

All advice much appreciated!

wee eddie 15:22 22 Jan 14
Answer

It's cheaper to buy a Ready Made External hard Drive.one than buy the parts separately and make it up yourself.

If you already have a spare hard Drive then you will need to get a USB3 Caddy. Remember that with older Hard Drives you may need to specify a different/particular connection for the Hard Drive within the Caddy.

Pineman100 15:31 22 Jan 14

wee eddie - that's very helpful, thank you. Based on your advice I have done a bit of internet research, and you're right - the price difference between a naked HDD and one already in a USB 3.0 caddy is negligible, so I've opted for the complete device.

Thanks again!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017