Will my data be lost?

Blues Brothers 01:16 24 Oct 08

Hi,

My pc recently died on me, suspect cpu or mobo (my fault for playing with EasyTune as I managed to EasyFry!). Now it wont boot at all, fans start and thats it.

My question is, If I buy a new mobo and cpu but keep the existing HDD will I have to reinstall xp or will ev everything still be intact?

My current defunct system is a gigabyte GA-K8N-SLI with an athlon 3700+ cpu.

I plan to upgrade to something like an Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 but not decided on mobo as yet, but welcome suggestions under £100 that are good for gaming.

thanks

Kevscar1 07:25 24 Oct 08

If the HD is not damaged then you will be OK. Can you take it out and try it in another machine

^wave^ 08:36 24 Oct 08

your data should be ok it may not boot up with the new mrd and cpu though if it does then you will have validate your o/s with microsoft. i think thats right as you have made a major change to the original installed hardware

chub_tor 09:32 24 Oct 08

Replacing your motherboard while still using your old hard drive will be OK but you will almost certainly encounter some driver problems on boot up unless the new motherboard is a 1 for 1 replacement. click here is a good guide and takes you through the steps of changing the motherboard on an XP system. As ^wave^ says you will need to re-validate but that is no biggy and I have done it several times.

Stuartli 11:21 24 Oct 08

If you change your motherboard, an XP Repair will be all that is required.

I've done it twice in the last three or four years. See:

click here

for details.

Blues Brothers 22:09 24 Oct 08

Excellent news, thanks for the info :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…