Will an IDE system be 'blind' to SCSI drives?

SparkyJack 11:17 05 Apr 11

I have a [spare] machine that has SCSI drives.
After a PSU blow out- a restart- got Windows to fire up than it went down.
In attempting a repair/reload XP Prp it asked for a SCSI driver
Much Googling and seeking advice here suggests that the repair/reimsatall attempt are being blocked for lack of a SCSI driver.
Many attempts of find a driver have so far come to no avail.
How ever the machine is dual - it has an IDE channel that the CD runs from- so it should therefore respond to a system on an IDE disk.
Question if it works this way- will I be able to access those SCSI drives via the IDE based system or will they remain out of reach?

lotvic 12:27 05 Apr 11

I can't answer your question as have never done that.

Are the SATA drive ports on the motherboard (built in)? If so then I would have thought that the drive would be recognised.
In the bios setup, you will need to enable the scsi bios (there will be a setting in there somewhere for this). Make sure that the scsi hard drive is on ID 0.

Have you tried resetting the BIOS to default settings?

maybe this will also be of some use
"Press F6 if you need to install a third party SCSI or Raid driver"
It's one of the motherboard drivers you need to put on.
Guide click here screenshots

karmgord 17:57 05 Apr 11

Set cd as 1st boot option in the bios then boot fron an xp cd,if the scsi drives had system on previous then they should have booted make sure you have connected the scsi drive with the boot partition as the 1st boot option on the scsi card if you have more than one scsi hard drive connected.
You definately can do repair option on the scsi hard drive from the xp cd as it contains scsi drivers.

Diemmess 18:11 05 Apr 11

"Will I be able-"
Probably not so simple as you had hoped.

I did use SCSI when a 4Gb SCSI HD was huge and faster than anything else, but that was a long time ago and memory grows dim.
Initially I think the Adaptec drivers were installed (its own BIOS and probably Win 98)
later versions seem to have their own drivers.
I seem to remember a lot of hassle and crashing when the SCSI was not given first priority.

Probably had to open BIOS and select SCSI to load as first boot disk.

I still have an adaptec 2940AU click here is an address for its drivers, try google SCSI drivers for others.

I no longer have the installation disk (wasn't needed if BIOS brought up to date and Win 2000 or possibly 98SE.)

I was about to throw everything into the recycle bin, but email me via the little yellow envelope if you would like any or all the hardware including internal and external cables.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac