Will I screw up XP?

Newuser3068 08:06 21 Sep 03

I use Windows ME, but I'm shortly going to house-sit for a month for a friend who uses Windows XP - he's said that I can use his computer. I've heard vague noises about having to "re-activate" an XP computer if its configuration changes. I want to install a couple of software packages on his computer for the duration of my stay, and then uninstall them when I leave. Could you please tell me whether this will screw up his XP installation and make re-activation necessary? His XP and my software are all legitimately bought.

mark500 08:11 21 Sep 03

NO it won't affect XP. Reinstall of XP is only necessary if you change major hardware like the Motherboard.

spuds 10:56 21 Sep 03

Do not forget, that any software placed on the computer and un-installed, can still leave traces.

Jester2K II 11:06 21 Sep 03

Also what software are you planning on using?

Things like Kazaa are notoriously difficult to remove COMPLETELY. Also it might let other nasties in (key-loggers, viruses etc etc) Could you cope if a virus got on his PC and you had to sort it??

Games and other programs should be OK.

Someone else will have to verify this for me, but if you made a Restore Point on the first day then when your friend comes home you could then restore back to the Restore Point and it'll remove everything??? It would be as if the PC had been off for a month....

Rayuk 11:07 21 Sep 03

Use system restore when you are ready to go,dont forget to make special restore point when you first go on it.

Newuser3068 17:40 21 Sep 03

The principle piece of software I'll be installing is Drawplus by Serif. Also possibly Photoshop.
Thanks for the idea about creating a Restore Point - I hadn't thought of that, and it's a great idea. If you create a Restore Point and then install some software, does the software definitely disappear if you later restore back to that point?

DieSse 17:47 21 Sep 03

Yes it does - but the data you create, including emails - doesn't disappear.

alan 2273 17:48 21 Sep 03

System Restore will take it back to when you started but over a month their will be automatic restore points added which you friend could restore to.

Newuser3068 19:29 21 Sep 03

Thanks for all the help, everyone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…