Will I do it right?

TommyRed 12:11 01 Nov 03

Going to some friends on Monday Night who have no protection, AV or Firewall, on their 98SE PC.My wife's volunteered me to put them on, I just need to know if I'm doing everything correctly. What I was going to do was this, copy to CD ready, ZoneAlarm, Spybot, Adaware, Spyware blaster don't think I can do AVG 'cos they e-mail a code to the PC you're protecting, don't they. So when I get there run 'housecall' to check for nasties, then install AVG and the rest and check for updates on them. What should I do if anything is detected, how do I remove it. I'll probably register them on this site so I can get help, if needeed. Any comments? TR

spuds 12:39 01 Nov 03

You should have no problems, installing the suggested programmes. All are self explanetary,in their installation and running procedures.If there is any nasties, then you should have no problems, sorting them out.Providing,as you say, that you are running the latest update versions.

While you are installing the mentioned programmes, why not give an added bonus, and install something like belarc or aida, for a computer component spec check.

Sir Radfordin 12:43 01 Nov 03

There is nothing to stop you downloading and getting an activation code for AVG before you go. I've done it several times. The code can be sent to any email address and doesn't have any ties to the PC.

You will of course want to run the update on AVG once you are there.

leo49 12:43 01 Nov 03

AVG isn't tied to a specific PC so you could download it yourself in advance - the codes are sent out by autoresponse - I must have downloaded it a score of times using the same email address.

Don't forget to drum into your friends that all these utilities need regular updating to retain effectiveness against new risks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…