Will this game play on my system?

TommyRed 20:06 13 May 04

I'm after 'Soldier of Fortune' 2 Double Helix off e-bay, I'm sure my system meets all the requirements but unsure about the graphics. It requires 3D Accelerator Card (with 16MB VRAM) with full OpenGL support to play and Belarc lists this under Display 'Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller [Display adapter]'. This may as well be in Azerbyjani. So whats the verdict. My OS is XP 2.60 GHz Celeron with 256Mb RAM, just noticed on the case 3D AGP Intel Extreme Graphics (sounds promising). TIA TR

QuickHare 20:09 13 May 04

I can't see a problem with that.

Anyone else wanna check to make sure?

ThePharcyde007 20:17 13 May 04

No it will not play to good. Onboard graphics cards share the system memory and are not very good. I suggest upgrading to a AGP GFX Card like a Radeon series card. Personally a Radeon 9800Pro 128MB would do the trick with plenty of punch. With the new series of Nvidia and ATI cards arriving end of the month it should drop to £100-120ish.

Dan the Confused 20:21 13 May 04

Don't onboard graphics have their own VRAM?

ThePharcyde007 20:25 13 May 04

I have a old Geforce 4 440MX 64MB lying around, if you give me your email, I can put it in the post, this may run with the settings set low, I found this card ok

QuickHare 20:26 13 May 04

And he does have 256Mb RAM. Even with 128Mb knocked off (worst case scenario), it's still 128Mb RAM left.

ThePharcyde007 20:27 13 May 04

A article relating to system memory onboard graphics click here

Dan the Confused 20:48 13 May 04

Pharcyde, I'll read it in more detail later but Google just came up with '64mb 3D AGP Intel Extreme Graphics'. I just wondered what the 64mb referred to.

2neat 21:00 13 May 04

If u r on bb why not download the demo click here Its 137megs. U will then know if it plays ok on your pc. I would get a decent graphics card. You will be able to see all the blood pumping out when you blow off limbs etc, and guts everywhere.
Enjoy ....

QuickHare 21:21 13 May 04

64Mb is the amount of memory the card contains for working with graphics. Sometimes it is shared (takes from the main memory) or onboard (independant, giving you 100% of your own memory).

Cheap cards tend to use system memory, better cards use onboard.

Hope this helps.

Dan the Confused 21:35 13 May 04

Thanks, but I was referring to that specific onboard graphics setup. I'll read up on it later though (damn .pdf format) and enlighten myself about onboard graphics.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…