Will Fast Drive Help Me ?

PhilMeIn 11:02 15 Feb 03

I have 6GB left on my 5400rpm ( was 20Gb) it takes a long time to defragment using Norton Utilities . I have just started video-editing using DV camcorder and Ulead VideoStudio6 . Have no problems making SVCD or VCD , playback on DVD player no problem :). But now have to think about more space needed , would a 80Gb 7200 rpm hard drive make all my daily useage run quicker ? or the size of the drive mean it will be slow again .I am using Windows 98 SE , Athlon 1700 Xp and 512 SDram .

AMD 4 ever 11:52 15 Feb 03

All of that with a 6GB hdd, this is where your bottleneck lies, you will definately need a large drive like the one suggested will be perfect esp at 7200rpm.

Pamy 12:40 15 Feb 03

A bigger, faster hard drive will be better for video work but I would use it soley for your video data. Set it up as a second (slave drive), but note, it will probably be an ata 100 or even 133 but if your mother board only supports ata 33, 66, then thats as fast as it will transfere data. Also,if your master drive is only 33,66; even if your motherboard supports higher,the new drive will only transfere data at the spead of the slowest one the same cable.
Defraging will still take a long time.
Regards,
Pamy

AMD 4 ever 21:55 15 Feb 03

if your master drive is only 33,66; even if your motherboard supports higher,the new drive will only transfere data at the spead of the slowest one the same cable.

Not strictly true, as the there is two fators here 1) Using the right Cable 2) Most NEW IDE Controllers from the better chipsets have multiple controllers that can buffer the hdd speeds to transfer at their individual correct transfer rates.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…