Will downloads work on a different computer?

Pineman100 11:21 22 Oct 08

A friend has asked me what security software to install on her computer, now that her Norton 360 subscription is running out.

I've offered to install AVG Free and Comodo Firewall for her.

My question is: if I download these to my own computer, save the downloads to a USB drive and then copy them on to her computer, will they still install OK?

I'm never sure whether a downloaded installation file will only install on the computer that it's downloaded to.

canarieslover 11:32 22 Oct 08

Unless the download specifies operating system, and you are going to install it on a different system, then there should be no problem. Make certain you are downloading full install programs and not just updates. Uninstall Norton before installing other security software.

ambra4 11:33 22 Oct 08

Yes the download will work on any computer

birdface 11:34 22 Oct 08

It should do.I have downloaded Security programs on my computer to disc and ran them on my sons computer.Remember to use the Norton removal too to remove Norton completely.

birdface 11:37 22 Oct 08

You can download them on her computer but do not run them.Just save them to My documents and run them when you want to run them.

Pineman100 11:47 22 Oct 08

I've now downloaded the above software and saved the downloads to my USB drive (Norton Removal Tool was already on there).

Many thanks for your advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…