will a CD RW laser lens cleaner work?

futurekid 12:12 09 Aug 06

Hi,
ever since 2 weeks ago my mums CD RW has never worked just makes noises and says that all is burned to disk but when you put it back in there is nothing on the disk so, could it be that the laser lens are clogged up with filth? and if it is will a cd lens cleaner thing work if i put it into the drive.
At fist i thought that it was the speed because it was burning at 32x but even after trying 4x 8x and 16x all the same happened.

So can someone please tell me wheather a cd lens cleaner will work and hopefully enable me to burn my disks once again.

Thanks

Ben Greenslade.

Belatucadrus 12:30 09 Aug 06

If it's not burning anything, probably the laser is shot, but the CD cleaner is always worth a try. Get one of the wet ones that use a cleaning fluid, the dry brush ones aren't that much good.

Stuartli 13:32 09 Aug 06

As rewriters and similar drives are normally fully sealed apart from the short period the tray is open, it's unlikely to be the problem.

Try Deleting the drive in Device Manager and then rebooting.

Windows should Find New Hardware and reinstall the basic CDROM driver, which is all that is required.

If this doesn't work and all the leads and cables are correctly fitted and firm, then the most likely cause is a laser that has gone kaput.

A new rewriter is only about £12 to £15 these days and a DVD rewriter, even better and which can write to both CD and DVD media, less than half again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5