Will '99 GA-6BXE Bios take XP?

Ironman556 10:52 07 Jan 04

Hi I have a PC currently running 98SE and am having problems getting my wireless USB adapter (D-Link DWL-120+) up & running to share net access from my router. (Although it's listed in the TCP/IP devices it doesn't appear in winipcfg)

I am going to reformat the PC, as suggested by D-Link, but am stuck between putting 98SE back on or XP Pro with better networking and USB support. The PC meets the minimum spec, PIII 500, 384MB SD RAM, 20GB hdd. But my mobo click here hasn't had a BIOS update since I got the PC so is running the '99 BIOS. Is this likely to cause a problem?

Thanks for your time.

Ironman556 10:54 07 Jan 04

Aida32 suggests an upgrade to Win 2000, which is what prompted me to think iot might take XP ok.

Jester2K 12:02 07 Jan 04

This chap click here is running Windows XP on the same board as you...

Ironman556 16:41 07 Jan 04

Thanks J2K, always quick to respond.

Ok so the board will support XP, is the BIOS revision likely to cause any problems or is it mainly just limiting the hdd size I can use etc.?

I'll probably give it a go in a week or two when I have time to mess properly, if it doesn't like XP I'll put 98 back.

Ironman556 11:01 24 Jan 04

Finally got a chance to install XP yesterday. Upgraded from 98SE and all went well. Installed the adapter and it worked first time and connected.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…