Will 1MB BB improve Video streaming

bremner 15:05 18 Oct 03

The kids watch downstreaming music videos from Yahoo. I am currently on Blueyonder 512KB if I upgrade to the 1MB service will this improve the quality and realiability of video streaming.

soy 15:29 18 Oct 03

With the faster 1Meg connection you will certainatly be able to download the streaming video quicker but you won't see increased quality. The quality is already preset when the video was made. Usually, there will be to options available. Low quality and High quality. The latter being for those with faster connections.

bremner 15:33 18 Oct 03

Thanks for the reply.

By quality I was really referring to the fact that on 512 the picture can break up or freeze, is this likely to improve on 1MB?

soy 15:46 18 Oct 03

yes, it should improve as the video is being downloaded almost twice as fast as on 512. The breaks and puases you saw on the 512 connection was down to the rate of download not keeping up with the video. By doubling the speed of your connection, the streaming should certainatly keep up with room to spare.

Also make sure that your media player has the optimum settings to play streaming video effectively.

But on the whole, the 1meg connection will definately improve your streaming video experience.

STEVE71163 15:46 18 Oct 03

Hi Bremner,
My children do the same with my pc and i am getting my 1mb connection any day :0) I will let you know if it improves.

Djohn 15:58 18 Oct 03

Although I agree with what is said above, 1MB being twice as fast as 512k broadband. I would be a little cautious and check out your other settings first.

I'm using 512k broadband through AOL. Video streaming is as clear (both sound and Picture] as watching the TV, even with many other applications running in the background, and while looking through this site and reading/replying to threads at the same time as well.

bremner 15:59 18 Oct 03

Thanks to both of you.

I would be grateful for an update from you when it is installed.

bremner 16:01 18 Oct 03

I have an Athlon 2000+ 512MB PC2100 Ram and a Radeon 9500Pro graphics card. How does this compare with your set up in respect of the video and what settings could I tweak to improve performance.

Djohn 16:25 18 Oct 03

Very little difference to your setup bremner, 2400xp CPU and 1Gb of pc2100 memory and a Gainward FX 5600 with 128 mem. But using AOL's own system player for watching video/movie clips and listening to radio stations. Not sure, but think it's based on the "Realplayer".

Can't see what buffer setting they have set it to at the moment, but will have a look and see what I can find.

I'm afraid i'm not too technical on these things. [Probally why I leave it all to AOL] But last wed. evening I was in the forum and had a couple of "Word" docs. open and a full download of 38 updates to XP where downloaded and installed without me even noticing, that is until the message came on screen that my PC need to be rebooted to finish the install! My PC did not appear to be acting any different at the time and was cruising along at it's normal speed. Regards. j.

hugh-265156 16:27 18 Oct 03

great quality streams click here

bremner 16:30 18 Oct 03

Thanks for that, it doesn't seem to matter if I have a few apps running or just the downstream, the result is the same, jerky video which sometimes freezes.

I will explore the settings and see if I can work an improvement.

I will be keen to hear from Steve71163 when he has his upgrade.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…