Wii - What 'Dongle' do I need please?

AngeTheHippy 11:10 11 Nov 07

Morning Chaps,
Yes - I've joined the other crazy s**s in the world who've managed to track-down-and-buy a Wii at the usual price rather than badly inflated.

I have a question that I need to know the answer to before I go out and buy. I understand I need to connect the Wii to the Internet - for Updates and other things apart from playing online. Please can you tell me exactly what I need? I've read that a DS WiFi USB Dongle will be needed - I've also read that ANY WiFi USB Dongle can be used, as they all do the same thing - the Nintendo dongle will of course cost the most...

Thanks a lot,

AngeTheHippy
xxx

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:14 11 Nov 07

Official Wii Wireless Internet Connection Guide
click here

support
click here

AngeTheHippy 11:20 11 Nov 07

But I don't have a wireless router ... That's the reason I need to know all there is to know about these dongle-thingies...

xx

Sparkly 11:27 11 Nov 07

Is this any help Ange
click here

AngeTheHippy 12:16 11 Nov 07

YES!! This is the EXACT thing I'm talking about! However, do i NEED to purchase one of these Wii dongles, or is there a cheaper alternative? I've noticed that Dongles can be as cheap as £9.99 - BUT do they do the same thing?

xx

crosstrainer 12:19 11 Nov 07

Has it right...

You could buy a router, but no point if you won't use it.

Technotiger 12:33 11 Nov 07

Or perhaps this, being cheaper ...

click here

AngeTheHippy 12:40 11 Nov 07

This is what I mean! BUT - will it work with Wii? The link Sparky gave above states that a wireless router ISN'T needed - this this dongle will do the trick...

xx

AngeTheHippy 12:55 11 Nov 07

Just read the link from Sparky- 2nd response (above) at Max TV - it quite clearly states: ' Just the thing if you don't have a wireless router! Best of all, WiFi MAX supports up to five 'local' DS gamers at a time, so you and your mates can all play online at once with no loss of speed!'

Can't figure it out at all...

crosstrainer 12:58 11 Nov 07

What is and is not possible...Sorry, not an expert on this stuff :)

click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:27 11 Nov 07

Assumming you have internet access via USB modem?

You need a Wireless Access point.
Usually this is a wireless modem / router.

If you have a wirelesss card on the PC the right chip and software you can bridge the wireless network to the LAN to turn your PC into a wireless Access point
click here

If not the this is what the WiiMax is doing for your
it is taking the place of a wireless router and using your PC to connect via the USB modem to the internet.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…