wifi signal refelector

Matata 15:44 27 Nov 07

Recently, somewhere i saw a drawing of a reflector made of cardboard and tin foil. I believe it works very well to direct and improve wifi signals and would like to copy such a contraption. Can anybody supply me with this drawing pse?

Technotiger 15:54 27 Nov 07

This is not the one you mentioned, but I think interesting anyway ... click here

octal 15:56 27 Nov 07

This is one site, click here not sure if it's the one you are thinking of.

Technotiger 15:59 27 Nov 07

I dare say this could be the one ... click here

octal 16:01 27 Nov 07

Incidentally, there are some guys who have achieved over 30Km using those Cantenas line of sight.

octal 16:10 27 Nov 07

This is the site I was looking for: click here

kjrider 16:22 27 Nov 07

I have had a little play with tin cans. The hardest thing I found was those little (SMA?) plugs to fit on the thin cable. Its easier if you can get a made up lead like I did off ebay.

It seemed to work OK, mounted on a cheap camera tripod, so it could be pointed the right way. On my upstairs window sill I can pick up about 15 wifi networks, and this is out in the suburbs, Hampton Court, not in London.

What I would like to try next time, is having it with a slot in the tin can, so that you could slide it up or down to find the best position for it.

I am thinking of using an old wok lid next time as a reflector to see how it goes.

There seem to be a lot of different ways of making your own wifi antenna, It would be nice to know which version was the best.

KJR

Matata 16:36 28 Nov 07

very many many thanks for all your contributions. I shall all try them out and report in due course. That'll keep me busy during the winter months. Thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…