Wifi security abroad

faulties 13:09 20 Jan 08
Answered

Hi.

We're taking our motorhome to France/Italy later this year. I'll be taking my laptop with us.

Some of the camp sites are wifi enabled so I'll be able to pick up emails & do some banking with my own kit rather than going to an internet cafe.

I don't have a clue about wireless security! Do I need to do anything with the laptop before we go (it is wifi enabled) & is there anything I need to do when I try to connect to the site's connection?

I do most of my banking online - this is why I'm a bit worried about being 'hacked' or whatever whilst online.

Thanks

BurrWalnut 13:50 20 Jan 08

You have no control over it, it's the router that has to be made secure not your laptop.

If you’re currently sharing files at home and you’re using the default workgroup name (MSHOME on XP and WORKGROUP on Vista) it may be prudent to change it to something else.

ambra4 14:52 20 Jan 08

Check with the campsite on connecting to the wireless network you will need the SSID name and the security password if the network is secure

Just disable the file sharing on the laptop hard drive and any folders that is shared will make the computer from being hacked even if the wireless network is unsecured

faulties 16:03 20 Jan 08

Ok. So do I need to do anything with Network Authentication - it's open, or Data encryption - it's disabled?

I've seen, on this forum, about WEP and WAP but only have WEP under the data encryption option.

Thanks.

ambra4 16:23 20 Jan 08
Answer

No just leave the laptop SSID name and the security for your home network as is

When you do a search for available network at the campsites the SSID name for that site will appear in the box click on the SSID to connect it will ask for the password if it required one.

Just enter the new password that the campsite gives you and you will connect to their wireless network

A lot of hotspots do not require a password just connect using the SSID name and you can access the Internet

As I said just disable the file sharing on the laptop hard drive and any folders that is shared

faulties 16:35 20 Jan 08

Thanks a lot. I feel happier now.

I've never used wireless networking at all, just went to internet cafes last year. More & more campsites are going with wifi so thought I may as well use it.

At €1.50 per 24hrs, approx, it's cheaper than the cafes and I don't need to change my email address either!

As usual thanks, I always get what I need from you guys, you're all GREAT.

ambra4 16:48 20 Jan 08

Glad to be of help Enjoy your holiday

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017