WiFi reception.

wotbus@ 11:40 09 Aug 08

I have recently re-positioned my WiFi router from my office to my lounge (one floor up, one room along, next to outside wall).
This has meant trying different locations in the lounge for the router, and different locations in the office for best reception in the office.
(not too much of a hassle LOL. Says nothing about this on the box)...
The net result, no pun intended, is my wifes and a spare PC work fine with "Excellent" and "Very Good" signal strength but mine, had to be didn't it?, will only get a reasonable signal if I move it from underneath the desk to the top, through 90degrees and with the WiFi antenna stuck straight out the back (the others are vertical).
The 3 PC's are within 1 metre of each other and the room is 3metres square approx.
The PCI card in question is a Linksys WMP54GS Wireless-G with, wait for it, SpeedBooster for up to 35% performance increase!! To date it has never registered more than 54kbs despite 125 being written all over the box!
I know radio wave propogation is an in-depth subject on its own and I probably have more experimenting with regard to positioning to do, but why should the newest and supposedly best WiFi card produce the poorest signal and with the antenna horizontal?
My wife is balanced on the coffee table in the lounge holding the router as high as possible so an early reply would be appreciated LOL. Not really, just a joke, but it is getting that way...

wotbus@ 12:41 09 Aug 08

OK, got it working with "Excellent" signal and antenna vertical. Achieved by moving the router in the lounge 1m closer to the outside wall and raising the height by almost 1m.
The PC is still in the wrong place though, so it looks like an antenna extension lead, something like this, is called for:
click here so I can put it where it is most practical.
Says on the Linksys Box
"Put your desktop PC anywhere you want. High-speed networking without wires". Hmmm.
Have a nice weekend everyone :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…